Chapter 16 - Decisions

Understandably, everything was a little bit different the following weeks after Hotch's stabbing

Understandably, everything was a little bit different the following weeks after Hotch's stabbing. Hotch was taking some much deserved time to recover, but also had been reviewing the case files on George Foyet religiously.

You'd been there for him as much as he'd allow, but more in a professional capacity, as he was extremely closed off. Although it pained you to see him hurting so much and for him to be so distant, you didn't push the issue, fearing he may completely close you out. Your feelings weren't a priority at the moment, and you had to let Hotch deal with everything in whichever way he saw best.

Jack and Haley had been put into witness protection, much to Haley's annoyance, but they were in too much danger for her to object. For their safety, no one had been given their location and Hotch couldn't even contact them, only receiving updates through the US marshal.

At the office, nothing seemed to have really changed. By now, the whole team were aware that you were seeing Hotch. And, apart from Reid, no one was really shocked, apparently it'd been obvious that something was going on. It was clear that yours and Hotch's acting skills weren't brilliant, and based on this, that you should stick to profiling.

Everyone was clearly eager for Hotch to return, for some sense of normality, but besides some teasing, at your expense, everything was pretty much business as usual.

That was, until today at least.

Tomorrow, Hotch was due to return to the office, after only a month. Well, thirty four days to be exact. Both you and Morgan had debated whether it was too soon, but it wasn't your choice to make, and clearly a decision that hadn't been made lightly.

Sitting at your desk, you watch, in hysterics with the team, as Morgan hops around the office on Reid's crutches. Just like a child, when given the opportunity to have a go on Spencer's crutches, Derek couldn't refuse.

"Remind me Morgan, how old are you again?" Prentiss teases, leaning against your desk as Morgan attempts to go up the stairs. He says you're only as old as you act, and you retort that he should trying acting his own age, not his shoe size, and those sat at their desks around you erupt in laughter.

That is until the clearing of a throat behind you shuts everyone up instantly, causing you to freeze in place.

"Agent Brooke, may I have a word with you please? In my office." Strauss' voice rings in your ears, and before you even have the opportunity to reply, she's already turned around on her heel.

"Ooooo... someone's in trouble." Morgan jests and you respond by flipping him the bird, causing him to laugh. Moving from your chair, you head out the bullpen to Strauss' office, smiling weakly over your shoulder when Emily wishes you good luck.

Meetings with Erin Strauss were never fun. Come to think of it, you don't think there's ever been a situation where you'd put Strauss and fun in the same sentence, in a positive sense anyway.