Chapter 7 - We Can

You'd just returned from Indiana

You'd just returned from Indiana. You were exhausted after dealing with a serial arsonist, turned serial killer, turned mass murderer.

The profile had been right, the arsonist was a local, someone who had grown up in Royal, Indiana. Despite the fact that he was from Royal, he was an outsider, shunned out by his community after believing the love he had for and the fixation on his sister was extremely disturbing.

You and Hotch had remained professional on the case, working hard to catch the guy. This pleased and relieved you at the same time. You didn't want your working dynamic to change after the events in his office.

You did catch him staring sometimes, which would cause you to flush instantly, resulting in him smirking. He would also innocently brush up against you, whether that be with his arm or leg, causing goosebumps to produce all over.

You couldn't lie though, you had teased him at every opportunity. Whether that be leaning over him and pushing your cleavage together or by biting your lip, you knew you were affecting him too. You desperately wanted to feel his lips against yours again, but knew you had to be careful to not draw too much attention.

You arrive back at Quantico and immediately go to find Penelope. You knew the case and the digging into the unsub's background was tough for her, as well as trying to find dirt on the victims, so you felt it was best to check in with her.

You walk into her office, taking note of all the photos and colorful post it notes.

"Hey Pen." You say softly.

Her head turns in your direction and she smiles meekly. You open your arms, gesturing her into an embrace. She accepts immediately, rising from her chair and coming over to you.

You stand silently, hugging each other tightly for a few minutes. Penelope had been phenomenal on the case, so you know you had to inform her, to make her feel better about the situation.

"You were great Pen. We wouldn't have caught him without you." You state, leaning out of the embrace and gripping her hands. You smile at her and she returns it.

"Thank you Ana, that means a lot. Do you want a cookie?" She replies quickly, squeezing your hands gently as she changes the subject.

Her attempt is successful, causing your eyes to light up at the home-baked goodies on her desk. You nod eagerly and sit in her chair, grabbing a cookie.

You mumble a noise of delight, watching as she begins removing the photos from the various boards.

"These are amazing Pen. What can't you do?" You say reaching for a second cookie. She looks over to you with a warm expression.

Before she has the opportunity to reply, you hear footsteps, drawing you to the door. You watch as Hotch strides into the room.

Penelope's expression drops as she looks to the entryway.  You slouch in her chair, trying to appear smaller, as if you weren't there.