Kyoshi Island

Y/N's POV
I skipped dinner and followed Prince Zuko to prepare to encounter Aang.

I was mad at Aang, and I wasn't his biggest fan, but I didn't plan on assisting the Fire Nation in capturing him, that was between him and Prince Zuko.

I tailed behind the prince before asking, "Prince Zuko, how exactly do you suppose you'll capture Aang, you know, after what happened last time?"

He sighed, "I don't know... but I won't underestimate him again! You'll see..."

As the prince mounted a rhino with some of the other crew mates, I waved goodbye to him as I opened my glider, taking to the skies to find Aang.

After searching from the skies, I decided to sit on the rooftop of one of the houses in the village and watch to see if Aang would respond to the prince.

He yelled into the deserted streets, "come out, avatar! You can't hide from me forever."

But as expected, there was no response, just peeping eyes from behind shut windows.

Prince Zuko commanded the soldiers, "find him."

As the soldiers made their way through the town, I felt a presence around me; I turned to the other rooftops and hidden behind them and behind the buildings were young girls, dressed like Avatar Kyoshi.

All at once, several of them charged straight at the soldiers from every direction, dismounting them from their rhinos and engaging in combat.

I sat watching on the roof with my chin in my palm, it didn't seem very fair; the soldiers hadn't attacked anyone, they were only looking for Aang.

One of them charged straight at Prince Zuko, I briefly thought about intervening, but I thought better of it- he can handle himself.

Once he was knocked from his rhino, he was surrounded by three of the girls dressed like Kyoshi- well actually, one of them seemed to be a guy- for a moment I thought that they might've caught him but he quickly proved me wrong, sending a ring of flames in their direction.

He jumped back up and stood in the middle of town, "nice try, avatar! But these little girls can't save you."

My head snapped towards the skies as I heard a familiar voice call out, "hey, over here!"

Aang landed at the other side of the village and stood holding his staff up, furrowing his eyebrows at Prince Zuko.

The prince immediately began throwing flames at him, and once Aang had jumped closer to him, Prince Zuko knocked his staff from his hand and constantly advanced on him.

As he knocked Aang tumbling into the ground, Aang grabbed onto some fans dropped by one of the girls dressed as Avatar Kyoshi and turned back to Prince Zuko, sending a gust of wind so powerful that it sent the prince crashing through the walls of one of the village houses.

He was ready to send another gust of wind the prince's way, but I jumped down and stood in Prince Zuko's defence, spinning my staff and blocking the attack before yelling, "that's enough, Aang!"

His face dropped when he saw me and he immediately opened his glider and took to the skies.

I flicked mine open, ready to follow him but thought better of it when I glanced back and saw Prince Zuko buried in the wood from the building.

I ran in and pulled the fallen wood from him before offering him my hand.

He grabbed onto it and I helped pull him up, but he immediately ran back outside to find Aang.

I sprinted after him and looked around for Aang, too, but he'd disappeared. The girls dressed as Avatar Kyoshi were still fighting the Fire Nation soldiers that had come into their town under Prince Zuko's orders and the air was filled with the smoke from the burning buildings all around us.

I heard a roar from the skies.

Appa.

I grabbed Prince Zuko's shoulder and pointed to the sky, "look, you're too late, he got away."

He quickly turned to the crew and yelled, "back to the ship! Don't lose sight of them!"

Everyone retreated to their ship, I went to follow them, but I stopped and looked at the town.

I can't just leave it like this.

I pulled one of the girls back and asked, "your town- what can I do to help?"

She opened her mouth to respond, but we were interrupted by a sudden rainfall. I inquisitively looked up and realised that it wasn't rain, it was Aang.

The town was going to be okay.

Sighing in relief, I opened my glider and soared up into the sky, following Prince Zuko and his crew back onto the ship.

Once the ship had set sail in the direction that Aang had disappeared in, Prince Zuko approached me as I was dangling my legs over the side of front deck, "uh- hey, Y/N"

I turned to him and nodded, "hello, Prince Zuko."

He scratched the back of his neck and began, "you know, you could just call me Zuko if you wanted to, I don't mind."

I jumped back down onto the deck and leaned backwards onto the side of the ship and smiled, "cool, noted."

He paused for a moment staring at me before darting his eyes away and clearing his throat, "anyway, I just wanted to, uh- thank you, I guess, for what you did back there."

I flicked my eyebrows upwards before sighing, "yeah, don't worry about it, no big deal."

He exhaled before joining me in leaning on the side, "I was surprised when I met you, you know. Everyone thinks that the avatar is the last air bender."

I groaned pulling myself back up onto the side of the boat, but with my feet facing the deck, "how fitting. The boy who's responsible for failing to protect his nation was the only one to survive."

Zuko didn't respond, he just sighed and stared out onto the waters and I later asked, "hey, didn't the Fire Nation just think that the avatar died when Fire Lord Sozin wiped out the air nomads and was reborn into the Water Tribe?"

"I don't know... I was once told that he died and was never reborn... even so, it's not like an avatar from the Water Tribe tried to stop us from winning the war, so I guess the idea was abandoned."

I nodded, looking out at the waters, "and if you do catch Aang, what will happen to him?"

Zuko exhaled, "I don't know, I've never thought about it... I'd just hand him in as a prisoner to my father, he won't be killed or anything because then he'd just be reborn into the Water Tribe."

After a little while of comfortable silence, Zuko turned to leave but I grabbed his wrist and stopped him, "Prince Zuko, I have a question?"

He looked at my hand clasped over his wrist for a moment before yanking his hand away and looking up to my eyes, waiting for me to continue.

"What exactly did you do that got you banished?"