The Tea Shop

Zuko's POV
"I just want our new place to look nice! In case someone brings home a lady friend! Unless somethings going on between you and a certain air bender?"

Y/N popped out from behind us, holding some street food, "I knew you had something going on with Aang!"

"Agh! Stop doing that! It's annoying!"

She chuckled, "I brought you guys some food, from what I remember, everything I've ever eaten in the Fire Nation was spicy, so voila! Spicy noodles! Oh, yes! I also picked up this lantern for our new place, I thought it'd look cute!"

I rolled my eyes, "this city is a prison, I don't wanna make a life here."

"Life happens wherever you are, whether you make it or not. Now, come on! I found us some new jobs, and we start this afternoon! Let's hurry back and eat the food that Y/N brought for us before we start!"

"Well, you certainly look like official tea servers! How do you feel?"

I muttered, "ridiculous."

Uncle was struggling to tie up his apron and Y/N had grabbed onto the strings, pulling on them to try to tighten it.

He asked, "uh- does this come in a larger size?"

"I have extra string in the back. Have some tea while you wait."

He poured the three of us a cup before retreating to the back of the store.

Uncle took a sip and immediately pulled the cup away, grimacing, "this tea is nothing more than hot leaf juice!"

"Uncle, that's what all tea is!"

"How could a member of my own family say something so horrible! We'll have to make some major changes around here!"

After he had thrown the tea out of the window, Y/N furrowed her eyebrows and went to the door to look around.

"What are you doing?"

She muttered, "nothing, nothing, I just thought I saw somebody."

"Would you like a pot of tea?"

I furrowed his eyebrow, "we've been working in a tea shop all day. I'm sick of tea!"

"Sick of tea!? That's like being sick of breathing!"

Y/N sat up and stretched her arms out, exhaling, "I'd love some tea!"

Uncle smiled and nodded before rummaging through the kitchen, "have you seen our spark rocks to heat up the water?"

Y/N stood up to look around, "no, but I can help you look."

When they were unsuccessful, uncle left through the front door and returned a minute or so later with some spark rocks, "I borrowed our neighbours'. Such kind people!"

Y/N jumped onto the sofa and picked up my legs, settling herself under my knees, where I had been lying down, "hey, grumpy, what's on your mind?"

I huffed, "nothing."

"Liar."

I rolled my eyes and ignored her, but she continued, "you don't have to talk to me about it if you don't want to, but I'm here if you do need me."

"You know, since ever since we arrived, I've been feeling like someone has been watching us..."

Y/N was peering out of the shop window and I shrugged, glancing over at uncle who was serving customers.

"Oh, look, it's-"

Before I could hear the end of what she was saying, the door slammed open and Jet yelled, "I'm tired of waiting! These two men and this girl are fire benders!"

He drew his hooked swords and as the three of us turned to face him, he glared between us, "I know they're fire benders! I saw the old man heating his tea!"

A random customer replied, "he works in a tea shop..."

"He's a fire bender! I'm telling you!"

The same customer stood up, "drop your swords, boy. Nice and easy."

Jet ignored him and took a step towards uncle, "you'll have to defend yourself, then everyone will know. Go ahead, show them what you can do."

Y/N reached for a broom, but I beat her to uncle's defence, pulling some dual swords from a customer, "you want a show? I'll give you a show."

Before I knew it, Jet and I were clashing swords over and over, and after he had sent me crashing out of the door, the fight was taken into the streets.

"You must be getting tired of using those swords, why don't you go ahead and fire bend at me?"

I ignored him and pushed back against his sword, hearing uncle yell, "please, son! You're confused! You don't know what you're doing!"

And as I attacked him back, he continued to taunt me, "bet you wish he'd help you out with a little fire blast, right now!"

I pinned his hooked sword to the ground and retorted, "you're the one who needs help!"

And as I swung for him, he bent his body backwards, barely missing my blade as it sliced through the straw he kept in his mouth before jumping backwards onto the fountain and yelling, "you see that! The Fire Nation is trying to silence me! It'll never happen!"

He lunged forwards, knocking me backwards, but I quickly jumped up, keeping my defence up as his advances backed me into an alley without bystanders.

"No one can see you anymore! Go on! Fire bend at me! It'll make this a lot easier for you!"

But before I could retaliate, I felt something falling from above, and a big gust of wind sent Jet flying backwards, "that's enough, Jet!"

His eyes widened, "but- she's a..." his eyebrows furrowed even further as he braced himself, running at the both of us.

I pulled Y/N behind me and yelled, "what are you doing!? Get out of here!"

I blocked Jet's attack, before advancing back on him, and ending back out in front of the tea house in heated close combat.

But we were stopped when some men who must've been some type of Earth Kingdom authority figures yelled, "drop your weapons!"

"Arrest them! They're fire benders!"

And uncle countered, "this poor boy is confused! We're just simple refugees!"

Our boss stepped forward and explained, "this young man wrecked my tea shop and assaulted my employees!"

"It's true, sir! We saw the whole thing! This crazy kid attacked the finest tea maker in the city."

"Aw! That's very sweet!"

As they detained Jet, he shot a death glare at Y/N, yelling, "YOU TRAITOR, NORA! RUNNING AROUND WITH THE FIRE NATION! THEY KILLED YOUR PEOPLE! YOU'RE A TRAITOR!"

She sighed, "I really hope you get the help you need, Jet."

And at that, they started dragging him away as he screamed hysterically, "you don't understand! They're Fire Nation! You have to believe me! No! Wait! Listen to me!"

And as they did, she walked over to me and ran her fingers over my face, "are you okay? Do you need first aid?"

I felt warmth rush to my cheeks as I grabbed her wrists and hesitantly pulled them away from my face, muttering, "I'm fine."

She immediately turned to uncle, "are you okay?"

And as she pulled away from me, there was a strange coldness that lingered in the space she stood in, which I quickly dismissed as I went to return the swords I had taken.