Princess Azula

Y/N's POV
I was always up late, I tended to wander the palace grounds until the early hours of the morning, but I doubted that Zuko knew that.

I also doubted that he had any idea that I had seen him sneak off to the prison where Iroh was being kept.

Zuko was being weirdly distant with me, seeming more and more tense as the days went by.

Did he resent me for what happened?

But it wasn't all bad, the princess often made conversation with me when we'd encounter each other around the palace, even inviting me to join her for dinner one time.

As the chef brought out our food, Princess Azula confirmed, "I'm correct in assuming you are a vegetarian, Y/N?"

I was kinda surprised that she'd know that, considering that Zuko didn't have any idea when I first met him.

I nodded as she had the chef place my food in front of me.

She was oddly considerate, or perhaps she just took pride in the excessive knowledge she had. But, nevertheless, Princess Azula was a lot more pleasant to be around than I had been led to believe by Zuko and Iroh.

According to the princess, the Fire Lord, Zuko's father, wanted to have an audience with me in the next few weeks. Something that I was pretty terrified of.

"You seem rather tense, Princess Azula."

"Oh?"

"I think you seem a little more uptight than usual, some relaxation would do wonders for you."

"You're wrong. I'm perfectly relaxed."

I shook my head, "I can help if you want, I was about to do a few laps around the palace grounds before bed, you're welcome to join me."

Princess Azula was a lot more willing to try out gliding than Zuko, and stayed very still and in perfect form as we took off, unlike her brother who wriggled around like an idiot.

It felt refreshing to have someone with me again, flying had felt lonely ever since I woke up, because Oogi wasn't there anymore.

When we landed, I turned back to the princess and smiled, "so, how was that? Pretty fun, right?"

She glanced away from me and looked up into the sky, "yes, it was rather refreshing."

"Your brother doesn't think so, in fact, I recall him referring to getting on my glider as a death trap."

I liked Princess Azula, she was intense and kind of scary but I found her pretty easy to get along with, unlike most of the people I knew back in the temple.

Zuko's POV
I sat with Mai leaning on my shoulder, as the sun set over the horizon; our picnic had already been finished and we were just there, relaxing in each other's presence.

It was weird to think that not so long ago, I was in a similar situation, sat on a picnic blanket in the evening sun with-

"Orange is such an awful colour."

Y/N's clothes from the air nation were yellow and orange.

I glanced over at Mai and felt myself smile, "you're so beautiful when you hate the world."

"I don't hate you."

"I don't hate you, too."

And then we mutually closed the space between us, our lips pressing together as all of our other thoughts melted away.

"Ahem."

I barely broke away from Mai's lips as I glared at my sister.

"Zuko, could I have a word with you?"

"Can't you see we're busy?" I pressed my lips back into Mai's, only to be interrupted again.

"Oh, Mai. Ty Lee needs your help untangling her braid."

She immediately pulled away from me and stood up, "sounds pretty serious", leaving me alone with my sister.

"So, I hear you've been to visit your uncle fatso in the prison tower."

I jumped to my feet, fists clenched, "that guard told you!"

"No, you did. Just now."

I should've known.

I slumped back down, "okay, you caught me. What is it that you want, Azula?"

"Actually, nothing. Believe it or not, I'm looking out for you. If people find out you've been to see uncle, they'll think your plotting with him. Just be careful, dumb-dumb."

"I brought you some komodo chicken," I slid the food beneath the bars of the cell uncle was locked up in, "I know you don't care for it... but I figured it beats prison food."

His back was turned to me, and he still hadn't said a word.

"I admit it. I have everything that I've always wanted. But it's not at all how I thought it would be. The truth is, I need your advice... I think the avatar is still alive! I know he's out there... I'm losing my mind! Please, uncle! I'm so confused, I need your help!"

But, yet again, I was met with silence.

"FORGET IT! I'LL SOLVE THIS MYSELF! WASTE AWAY IN HERE FOR ALL I CARE!"

I turned back briefly as I got to the door, but there he was, sat facing the wall like I wasn't even there.

And so under the dark blanket of the night, I met with a man I knew could help me.

"You sure you weren't followed? I've heard about you. They say you're good at what you do... and even better at keeping secrets. The avatar is alive. I want you to find him... and end him."

Y/N's POV

"Hey, hey, Y/N!"

I glanced over at my door to where Ty Lee was stood grinning.

"Oh, hello, Ty Lee. Can I help you?"

"Pack your things! In the morning all five of us are heading to Ember Island!"