The Avatar

Y/N's POV
I didn't think anything could get much worse but life just enjoyed proving me wrong.

"OPEN UP IN THE NAME OF THE FIRE LORD!"

I was woken up by men pounding on my bedroom door, telling me that they had my room surrounded from all sides and that it would be in my best interest to surrender.

I shouldn't have gotten so attached to the Fire Nation, because every time I think I have something good, the world takes it away from me.

This was like routine for me.

I picked up my glider and used my bending to force my windows open, shattering them and throwing the guards backwards, before soaring above them and dancing past their fire attacks until I escaped the palace grounds.

I felt my heart ache as I got to the shore, taking a moment to look back at the Fire Nation capital before taking back off into the skies.

Why did I think that it would be any different this time?

Zuko's POV
Avatar Aang and his friends turned to face me, and I forced a smile onto my face as I waved, "hello, Zuko here."

They all got into fighting stances, ready to attack me, so I continued, "hey, I heard you guys flying around down there, so I thought I'd just wait for you here."

The bison roared in my face before licking me, soaking the entire right side of my body. Gross.

No one said anything, so I begun, "I know you must be surprised to see me here-"

Sokka snapped, "not really, since you've followed us all over the world."

"Right... well, uh... Anyway, what I wanted to tell you about is that... I've changed and I, uh, I'm good now and... well, I think I should join your group. Oh, and I can teach fire bending... to you."

Avatar Aang lowered his staff and softened his expression slightly as I continued, "see, I, uh..."

The little earth bending girl, interrupted me, "you want to what now!?"

Then Katara yelled, "you can't possibly think that any of us would trust you, can you? I mean, how stupid do you think we are?"

Then Sokka chimed in, "yeah, all you've ever done is try to hunt us down and capture Aang."

I argued, "I've done some good things! I mean, I could've stolen your bison back in Ba Sing Se, but I set him free. That's something!"

"Appa does seem to like him."

But Sokka dismissed the earth bender, "he probably just covered himself in honey or something so that Appa would lick him. I'm not buying it!"

I hung my head, "I can understand why you wouldn't trust me and I know I've made mistakes in the past."

"Like when you attacked our village!?"

"Or when you stole my mother's necklace and used it to track us down and capture us!?"

I sighed, "look, I admit I've done some awful things. I was wrong to try to capture you, and I'm sorry that I attacked the Water Tribe and I never should've sent that Fire Nation assassin after you. I'm gonna try to stop him."

Their eyes widened.

I am such an IDIOT.

Sokka yelled, "wait, you sent combustion man after us!?"

"Well, that's not his name, but..."

"Oh, sorry, I didn't mean to insult your friend."

"He's not my friend!"