Fugitives

Y/N's POV
As we stood on a small raft that Iroh had been waiting on, Zuko looked out at the remains of an entire fleet of Fire Navy ships that Aang had destroyed.

I took my shoes off and sat down, letting my bare feet soothe in the icy ocean.

As Iroh adjusted the sails, he looked over at Zuko, "I'm surprised, Prince Zuko, surprised that you are not at this moment trying to capture the avatar."

"I'm tired."

"Then you should rest. A man needs his rest."

After three weeks of trying to survive out at sea with nothing to eat or drink, we finally came to dry land.

As Iroh was getting a massage, Zuko was broodingly staring out of the doorframe and seemed more on edge than usual. I sat on top of the roof, unable to see Zuko who was sat directly below me.

I heard Iroh make his way over to him and ask, "I see. It's the anniversary, isn't it?"

"Three years ago today, I was banished. I lost it all. I want it back. I want the avatar, I want my honour, my throne. I want my father not to think I'm worthless."

"I'm sure he doesn't. Why would he banish you if he didn't care?"

I face palmed before jumping down, and sighing, "even if he does think that of you, screw what he thinks. You have plenty of honour, your father is a fool to ever suggest otherwise-"

Before I could finish, Zuko jumped up and stormed away; for a moment, I considered following him, but thought better of it and stayed with Iroh, giving Zuko whatever space he needed to cool down.

That evening, I left to do my own research on Aang's whereabouts; I didn't know why I was looking for him anymore, I had pretty much said all I wanted to say- I could beat the crap out of him again and again, but in the end, I wasn't actually achieving anything, it wouldn't bring them back.

I didn't get any intel on his location that entire evening and returned late into the night with nothing to show for my absence.

Though, when I got inside, Zuko was packing his bag and Iroh was stood in the corner, looking frustrated and dejected.

"Woah. What's happening? Are we leaving?"

Zuko jumped at my voice and quickly turned to face me, "Y/N... you're back."

I looked between Zuko and his uncle before asking, "does someone want to tell me what's going on?"

"My sister came by this evening, my father wants me to return home- I'm leaving."

I stood idly, not knowing what I was supposed to say. It wasn't like I could beg Zuko to stay, this was all he had been working for: to return home.

Iroh filled the silence, "in my opinion, Princess Azula's claims didn't add up- my brother has never been known to have regretted anything-"

"Did you not listen to Azula? Father has realised how important family is to him, he cares about me!"

I felt my feet shuffle as I watched the tension between the two of them thicken.