18: Trust

As we landed in front of the Magic Knight headquarters, an escort was already standing outside waiting for us.

We followed him to the grand foyer. "Y/n, come with me. The rest of you may stay here."

I looked back at Asta and Yuno while trailing behind the small, nameless man. Asta gave me a huge smile and thumbs up while Yuno offered a small nod.

I sighed, redirecting my focus to what was in front of me. I'm really not in the right mindset to make any major decisions.

"Right this way," the man ushered while opening a door for me.

I bowed my head slightly, "Thank you, sir."

His eyes widened in shock, unused to that kind of kindness and respect.

The doors closed loudly behind me, and I looked at the familiar faces sitting around a conference table.

"No need to be so polite to the help," Nozel scoffed.

Why are all the Captains here?! Am I getting fired or something... Do people even get fired from the Knights?!

I stood there frozen, staring at the powerful legends before me. I caught Yami's attention and his face was stone-cold, but as I looked into his eyes, I saw a small flicker of concern.

Yami... I'm sorry.

"Please, come take a seat," Fuegoleon gestured to an empty chair at the end of the table. It was directly across from the large throne-like chair at the other table head.

I nodded and approached carefully, for some reason I was in defense mode and ready to attack at any moment.

Nozel, Fuegoleon, and William all stood as I took my seat.

"Thank you," I mumbled with a soft smile.

Yami scoffed at the gesture, "You don't need to stand for an Intermediate 5th Class."

"A true gentleman always stands for a lady such as Y/n," Nozel commented before sitting back down.

Yami chuckled before taking a long drag of his cigarette, never removing his eyes from mine.

"What's this about?" I asked trying to sound confident, but failing miserably.

I am so out of my league right now. What the fuck...

"We ought to wait for Julius before we begin," William explained.

"Y/n! I don't believe we've met before! I'm Rill!"

I stared at the young Captain with a smile, "Hi, Rill. It's nice to meet you."

"I heard you're really powerful! Yami told me you even bested Charlotte when she attacked you!"

My eyes widened with horror as I looked around at the shocked faces of the Captains.

Why would Yami tell him that!!?!

"What the hell, kid. I told you that in confidence," Yami groaned.

I watched Charlotte's face grow red with anger and embarrassment.

Nozel smirked, "Now this is a story I'd like to hear."

Jack the Ripper licked his lips, "Please, Y/n. Enlighten us."

I bowed my head slightly, "That is not a moment I'm
proud of. I wish to show nothing but respect to all Magic Knight Captains."

Yami laughed heartily, "Yea right! Since when!?"