44: Til Death Do We Part

**yea, idt they really have technology during black clover but i'm giving them medical tech anyway so oh well heh**

I tried to keep my composure as I laid back on the cold hospital bed. It had been 3 weeks since we first found out about the baby, and Yami had been gone over a week now to prepare the attack.

I slammed my eyes shut, biting the inside of my mouth to keep myself from crying. I didn't want to be here alone. I didn't really want to be here at all.

I wanted to fight by Yami's side. And more than anything, I wanted him to be home by now. He should've been back. I didn't understand what was taking them so long.

Our plan laid out something that should've taken a week tops, and yet I hadn't received any updates.

"Good morning, Y/n. How are you?" the doctor asked as she walked in.

"I'm fine, thank you," I smiled politely.

"Any troubling symptoms?"

I shook my head and listened carefully as she continued to ask questions, speaking as little as possible.

"Well, should we get started?"

"Yea, that sounds great."

I tried to relax as I laid back and let her adjust the bed. I watched as she pulled up my shirt a bit, covering it in a cool, slippery gel.

I couldn't help but smile as she put the small device on my stomach and a small heartbeat showed up on the screen.

I looked at the tiny little body on the monitor, feeling an overwhelming amount of love for the first time. Until now, I was dreading every moment but this was definitely giving me a change of heart.

The doctor smiled, "Well, there's your little one."

I smiled and laughed softly through the now happy tears, "It's so little."

She laughed, "Would you like to know the gender?"

"W-what? Already?" I looked at her with wide eyes.

"Mhmm. It's up to you though."

I bit my lip as I thought about what to do. I wasn't sure if I should wait for Yami, or find out now and then surprise him when he got home.

That would be a damn good surprise.

I smiled softly, "I'd like to know."

••••••

**few days later**

I laid lazily on a couch in the main foyer, Lunelle laying on the ground beside me. It was the middle of the night, but my body refused to sleep.

I had been a wreck the last few days as Julius was called elsewhere and I was left here alone without any semblance of what was going on.

The attack was scheduled for well over a week ago now. I just didn't understand what could possibly be going on.

I sat up as I heard the clanking of feet against the marble. It sounded like someone was running through the headquarters... More than one person actually.

This place had been a dead zone for weeks now, so I had no idea who it could be. Especially at this time.

As they approached, Lunelle got to her feet, ready to attack whoever came charging through. My eyes widened in horror as I watched the unconscious, blood-covered body being carried.

"Y-yami?" I called out, my heart shattering. I immediately got up and started sprinting towards him when Magna cut me off.

"Y/n, stay back! He needs to get to the hospital wing!"