Confessions and an open window

It was around 3 AM as I sat there alone in the mess-hall with numerous books about titans and this worlds history in front of me. Gently tapping my finger on the table I desperately tried to gather some last information about this world.

My focus however wasn't with the books at all.

Earlier ,Yui and Ayame were released from their imprisonment after a thourough questioning by Erwin and Levi.

After that they were given a spare bedroom for the night.

They got a lot of stares from other soldiers when we all walked through the corridors of HQ. Some looked concerned...the rest were just curious.

What? Have they never seen a human from another dimension before?

Ayame seemed absolutely extatic about this place, especially the special gear they use when fighting the titans. She kept talking and pointing at everything she could see.

"WHAT'S THIS?!"

"A teakettle, Aya..."

Erwin thankfully decided to not notify the higher-ups about the new arrivals.

We would all be leaving immediately after the mission anyways...

I slowly combed my fingers through my (H/C) hair as I felt myself drifting further and further away into my own thoughts.

The uneasy feeling in my stomach only grew as time went passed.

For some reason, Yui and Ayame also insisted on taking part in the mission.

They want to observe the people here and see what I had been doing all this time.

Never thought Erwin would allow them to...

More people means a bigger chance to succes?

Gimme a damn break....

I rested my tired head against the palm of my hand and closed my eyes, hoping it would make the chaos inside my mind a bit clearer.

Even though Yui and Ayame will be disguised as normal villagers...this was a bad idea...

The sound of a teacup being dragged across the wooden table made me slowly open my eyes again.

Looking down I found a cup of hot black tea. It smelled absolutely delicious.
With raised eyebrows I turned my head to the left, seeing Captain Levi taking a seat next to me.

I was still angry but didn't blame him for his actions anymore. He always was a strict and correct man and did what he thought was best for the Survey Corpse.

I gently put my cold hands around the white porcelain cup. The cup was decorated with little cherry-blossoms along with some gold swirls.

"You made this for me?" I asked, breaking the ear-deafening silence. My voice slightly echooing throughout the empty mess-hall.

Levi just stared blankly infront of him with his own teacup in hand. He took a long sip before averting his gaze towards me.

He looked tired.

Exhausted.

"Tsk, I made it for myself but then I saw you sitting here..."

"I see." I answered and wondered why my heart was nearly beating out of my chest.

Usually I had always felt at peace whenever I talked to Humaties Strongest but for the past couple of weeks...something was different.

"Are you prepared for tomorrow?"

Thinking about that made me break out a sweat. I cleared my throat and swallowed a lump in my throat before shaking my head.

"It isn't a good idea for Yui and Ayame to be there."

Levi sighed and jaw tensed up. He carefully set his teacup down before pinching the bridge of his nose. I could see something was bothering him.

Uneven breaths.

His right leg quickly bouncing up and down.

Clenched teeth.

"You better make it out alive, brat."

I bit my lip.

I couldn't say for certain that I would make it out alive.

Suddenly a strong gust of wind blew a window open, making me jolt up in surprise. With a small sigh I placed both my hands on the table in order to stand up...before the deep, luring voice of Levi stopped me in my tracks.

"I care about you, you know that?"

My heart jumped at his words. My chest felt warmer as a flush appeared on my cheeks. With my shaking hands I cupped my own face, processing the meaning behind this sudden confession.

I wanted to speak up.

I wanted to tell him the truth about how I felt.

The words burned on my lips and tears stung in the corners of my eyes.

I can't...not because I didn't want to...but because I had to leave soon.

It would only hurt more.

Levi then stood up from the bench with a grunt. I expected him to close the window but instead he walked closer to me. I heard his steady footsteps stop right behind me. His sweet lemony scent entering my nose, nearly hypnotizing me as I swung both my legs over the bench in order to face him.

Our eyes met... and when they did... the realisation hit me like a trainwreck.

"I don't want to go back."

I was shocked that I was finally able to speak my mind while Levi's eyes slightly widened as well.

Levi scoffed and smirked, shaking his head and rolled up his sleeves before crossing his arms.

"No shit..."

I let out a small smile but that soon faded away as I knew that the thing I wanted most...wasn't going to happen.

It felt so frustrating to be this powerless and I balled my hands into fists.

"But... I have to...If I don't return...Levi...Seth would-" I continued as the Captain clicked his tongue when he heard his name.

"Screw him...You belong here. You belong with us. With..."

I stood up now directly facing him and our noses nearly touching but Levi only turned his back towards me.

"With me...In the end it's your decision, brat. I wanted to let you know my personal thoughts...and feelings on this."

Before I could even think about an answer the captain had already exited the mess-hall.

Leaving me alone with my thoughts...two cold teacups and an open window.