Waking up.

There was not a single sound to be heard in the appartment ,except for the ticking clock above my desk. Along with that came the scribbling of a fountain pen as I signed yet another document from the neverending pile of papers.
At this hour, everyone and everything was sound asleep while I ofcourse was still wide-awake with growing bags under my eyes.

I was glad to be working again, even though it was just administration. It gave me enough distraction from my own mind.

I wanted to prove to myself that I was able move on.

"WHY THE HELL DID SQUAD 13 ORDER 30 PIZZAS?!" I yelled to no one in particular, throwing my hands up in the air. Sheets of paper flew off the desk but I didn't even bother picking them up.

There were so many ridiculous requests that I could understand why Seth didn't want to review them himself.

This is an organisation, not a playground.

I looked at my sore fingers, stained with the black ink from the pen as I leaned over and rested my elbows on the black wood in front of me. I drew small circles on my temples before closing my eyes.

Being the successor was a pain in the ass but everyone at the organisation had high hopes for me. I never asked for this to be honest but I had already made it this far.

The sound of my stomach making whale-sounds made me push myself up from the chair. When I stretched out, my back cracked a little as I shuffled towards the kitchen, letting out a yawn.

I think I still have some instant ramen...somewhere...

After a short search in the cabinets I retrieved one big cup of ramen. Looking at the bright colours on the packaging I recalled a distant memory from not too long ago...

***

"Instant ramen? What's that?! Sound tasty! " Sasha asked, already drooling about this mysterious food. Her loud voice echoed throughout the mess-hall, making a few other soldiers look up from their lunch.

I nodded and chuckled, swirling around my soup with a spoon.

"It's really good! It's a type of dough which is cut into these long strings. Then we boil it before adding all kinds of spices to it. We also eat it with chicken or some other types of meat."

"MEAT?!" The potatoe-girl, yelled shaking me back and forth.

"OI, DON'T MAKE ME SPILL MY PRECIOUS SOUP!" I shouted in return, making everyone at the table laugh.

***

As if someone suddenly closed a photo-album full of memories, I regained my grasp on the current reality again. Not realizing that I had been staring at my late-night-dinner for longer than necessary.

The sound of my ringtone broke through the dead-silent appartment as I looked up.

Ugh.

"Where is that stupid thing..." I mumbled ,turning on the light in the living room in search for my hoodie that I threw somewhere near the sofa earlier.
When I found my hoodie I retrieved the phone and clicked the green button to pick up.

"Hello?"

"FINALLY, (Y/N)! AYAME'S AWAKE!"

My brain stuttered for a moment while my eyes grew wider. Every bodypart froze as my thoughts tried to catch up on the news that entered my eardrums. I opened my mouth in order to speak, but no words came out.

On the other side of the phone, Yui talked with a voice full of joy and relief, letting out little fits of laughter.

"I'm at the hospital right now. They gave us permission to see her for a bit!"