Stargazing

(Levi's POV)

"He’s dead…pastor Nick is dead.”

I recalled Hanji’s words from a few hours ago as I sat on a log in the middle of the dark woods, staring into the campfire.
Feeling the heat warm up my body, I tried to wrap my chaotic head around the most recent events.

Thanks to Commander Erwin's letter, we managed to flee from the hide-out just in time before the Military Police crashed the place.
Presumably, someone tipped off the damn goverment about our whereabouts along with giving out the order that 'all scouting activities outside the walls are forbidden'.

Hanji and Moblit then left in search for Erwin while the rest of us will head to Trost tomorrow in order to find out who exactly is screwing us over.

Let’s just hope our plan will work.

Sounds of wind slipping through the leaves, fluttering of unseen wings and low creaking of old trees surrounded the area where we set camp for the night.

It was best to move out in the early morning as we needed some time to come up with a solid strategy first. The brats also needed their rest because I highly doubted they will have time to sleep once we arrive in Trost.

I however wasn’t really a fan of sleeping during crucial times like this and preferred to keep watch.

Gotta be on the lookout in case that potato-brat decides to sink her teeth into our whole food-supply.

My thoughts went to Hanji again as it was very clear how guilty she felt over the fact that she wasn’t careful enough with pastor Nick.

I however...strongly disagreed.

Even though shitty-glasses can be an oblivious airhead sometimes, there was nothing she could’ve done more for him.

He was a dead man anyways.

I shuffled my left foot back and forth into the ashes of the fire beneath me, still feeling the annoying shocks of pain from when I messed it up a couple of weeks ago.

"Tsk, sprained ankles are a pain in the ass." I mumbled through my teeth, focusing back on the dancing flames in front of me.

Everyone was fast asleep... some snoring loudly while others just steadily breathed in and out.
Looking to my right, I grabbed another piece of wood, tossing it into the fire with a small grunt, lightening up the small open space a little more.

It was at times like this that I let myself get carried away by my own intrusive thoughts. Reflecting over my decisions as a Captain.

Thinking about the people I lost…couldn’t save…or had to leave behind.

***

It may not seem like it at first glance, but there are actually a lot of hidden feelings burried deep within my soul.

When others look at me...they usually think I don't give a single shit.

That I'm cold.

Show no remorse.

Have no feeling of guilt.

But even though the opposite is really true...I prefer them thinking that about me.

They can't know.

No one can see me struggling more and more with these pathetic feelings. I can't allow that. I am not some weakling who can't deal with the pressure of being 'Humanities Strongest'.