The Emptiness Inside

(Levi's POV)

Erwin was still confined while Hanji and I tried our best to keep the Survey Corpse running. We decided to leave HQ tomorrow with my newly formed squad and camp out in a remote cottage where shitty-glasses could experiment on Eren to test his titan-abilities.
She was already drooling over the idea while I called her an abnormal titan for doing so.

It had been about 2 weeks since (Y/n) left and you could still feel the emptiness of her abscence lingering around the building.

Hanji often asked me if I missed the brat.

Honestly...I did.

She made me feel things again that I thought were long gone.

I was once again the emotionless Captain everyone knew me for.

Prioritizing the safety and wellbeing of others before my own.

Short-tempered and cold.

"It's fine. I'm used to it." I lied to the bespectacled woman, leaving her behind with a questionable face.

After a few minutes of angry-walking I didn't even realise that my feet had stopped in front of (Y/n)'s old bedroom.

Are you kidding me...

It might sound creepy but during her stay, I would often wander around the corridors during the night and stop right here on this exact spot.
It sure as hell wasn't on purpose.
For some reason I always ended up here.

Too socially awkward to even knock on the door, wake her up and ask the brat if she wanted to have a cup of tea with me.

Quickly glancing left and right I entered the room, closing the door behind me without a sound.

Thankfully everyone was busy packing for the trip tomorrow.

It took a while for me to eventually move towards (Y/n)'s bed.
Her old uniform laid there, neatly folded into a small pile.

I picked up her survey-corpse jacket and caught a faint whiff of her comforting scent still on it.
The brown piece of clothing had a few tears in it along with some dried-up bloodsplatters...presumably from the previous mission.

Tsk, dirty.

Slowly I dug one hand into my own pocket, retrieving a small pair of scissors. My cold fingers tracing the emblem of the Wings of Freedom on the sleeve before carefully cutting it out.

I did this with every soldier I lost under my command.

Wether they died, went missing...or just left.

Folding the jacket again, a dry scoff escaped my lips as I headed back to my office, tightly clenching the fabric in my hand.

When I arrived at my office, I locked the door and took a seat behind my desk. Leaning a little to the right I pulled out the drawer where all the other emblems of fallen soldiers were stored.

Seeing so many of them always pained me.

For a few seconds, my eyes were fixed on (Y/n)'s emblem in the palm of my hand.

"DAMNIT!" I yelled out, slamming the drawer shut, making the desk shake a little.

I rested my elbows on top of the desk, combing my trembling fingers through my hair. With a few long in- and exhales I put the only reminder I had of her in the chest- pocket of my own jacket.

Close to my heart.

---------------------

(Modern world - 5:47 PM - Winter)