Chapter 5

After a while they reached a clearing with tents scattered around and a fire pit in the middle.  Ildri was dropped to her feet hard and she staggered a bit at the impact.

"Come," said the handsome man in the same methodical voice and Ildri felt even more dejected.  He obviously thought that she was a troublesome pest at best.  She knew that she should not even care what some random attractive captain thought when Saul was not even cold in his grave yet, but she could not quite help herself.  She was clearly a terrible person.  She had obviously never deserved Saul.

Ildri followed him into the largest tent, feeling terribly miserable.

Inside was a makeshift table and several men sat around it.  There were parchments scattered across.  Several other armed men lounged at the edges of the tent.  All of them looked up as Ildri was brought in to the room.

"What is this, Sir Rhys?" said the man in the middle of the table.  He had an accent that was unfamiliar to Ildri and his clothing looked rich but strange.

"We found her as we searched for the spy.  She claims that she is of Wildwood and saw a man named Saul murdered by a scarred man," he said.  Ildri heard an odd note in his voice but she had no idea what it might mean.  A meaningful look passed between a few of the men.

The man with the accent spoke again, but this time he looked at Ildri closely.  "Who are you, girl?"

"Ildri of Wildwood."  Her best chance was certainly to cooperate.

"Tell us, Ildri of Wildwood, how you came to be hiding in the woods this day."

Ildri swallowed hard, and started at the beginning.  "My lord," she began, because it seemed to be the way to address the man, "I was simply meeting my beloved Saul in a clearing in the woods last night, when I saw him murdered by a terrible man.  He discovered I was there and he and his horrible wolf chased me and forced me to come with him.  He said he was taking me to the king, but I did not think he intended to, and then I realized that we were not heading towards the capital, so when I saw your men I screamed for help.  I hoped that they would capture him, but when I turned around, he was no longer there."

"Indeed," the leader of the group said musingly.  "Know you anything else?  Where he was going?" he asked her.

"He said Valence."

"Send some men to Valence, although he will no doubt change his plans now that we have her."  He looked at Ildri again.  "Why were you travelling with him?"

"He forced me.  He said that I was selling secrets to my future husband and would not listen when I told him he was wrong.  But I think it was because I saw him kill a man.  He was probably going to kill me."

The man in the center nodded, then spoke to one of the men lounging at the edges of the tent.  "You, sir.  Tie her up securely and remove her.  Don't kill her yet lest I think of more questions.  We must expand our search for this... rebel."

"Tie me?" she squeaked.  Don't kill her yet?

"Yes, my lord," said the man who had been ordered to guard her.

Ildri was dragged outside and tied to a tree.  The guard stood a short way away, watching her.  He did not seem pleased with the task he had been given.

Who were these men?  They could not be the king's soldiers because surely the king's soldiers would not do such a thing.  Or would they?  What did she know of the world other than that it was a terrible place?  Yet, there was no way Lord Wildwood would support a king who would allow something like this, but then who was the man who had forced her to come along?  Was he really on the king's side or was no one on the king's side?  Was anyone honourable and decent beside those at Wildwood?  If only she had not stepped foot outside the safety of the walls.