Chapter 49

They split up, and Ildri felt a vague unease with the situation. There were so many things that could go wrong, both with them and with Vern. But it was his choice. She could not stop him, and perhaps they really did have a better chance alone. Vern seemed to think that he could handle it. She hoped that he was telling the truth.

Ildri and Ty continued on with Lord Reginald, Farrel and the horse. She felt a terrible sense that something was wrong that would not leave her no matter how far or fast they went. The horse was growing tired and they switched burdens frequently, and both Ildri and Ty took turns walking to give the horses a break.

It felt like every step was a strain, and Ildri could not help herself from listening to the sounds of the forest and trying to determine which sounds were the normal sounds of the wild inhabitants and which sounds might be something more invasive and dangerous. Farrel frequently moved out of sight into the trees and she believed that he was scouting for signs of danger.

Hours passed and Ildri's nerves felt as if they were at the breaking point. This flight was as stressful in its own way as the first time she had been dragged from Wildwood, except this was worse in its own way as she was no longer only worried about her own well being. She did not know what she would do if she lost Ty again; and she also worried about Farrel and Lord Reginald.

The forest was looking more familiar although Ildri was certain that she had not seen it before. Yet she increasingly recognized the plants around her and Ildri was certain that they were drawing closer to the only home that she could really remember.

She did not permit herself to feel relief. They could still be considerably far from Wildwood, and she had been taken by Saul far closer than they were. They needed to stay vigilant, and she could not help the nagging feeling that something would still happen, that the soldiers would come upon them now that they were in such familiar territory.

The relief that Ildri felt when they were in sight of the castle was wonderful, indescribable. She pulled the horse forward, and when she heard the soldier's voices she called out her name. Once they saw that it was her they let her in, and she was separated from her companions. But it did not worry her, because she was home. She was safe.

* * * * *

Ildri was escorted straight to Lord Wildwood's study. "Ildri, are you well?" he asked. "Bring her food," he told the guard. The guard nodded and left.

"I am. Is Allan?" she asked.

"He is, although he has a fair sized lump."

Ildri breathed a sigh of relief.

"So tell me what happened, and then you can rest."

Ildri inhaled deeply and began. "I was gathering a certain flower in the woods with Allan, when the lights were extinguished and Allan was attacked."

"I heard as much from Allan."

"And then Saul stood before me," she continued.

Lord Wildwood shook his head. "So he's not dead? I'm certain that he has been using some sort of magic to hide his activities from me," he said thoughtfully.

Ildri nodded. "I think it is a combination of that, and doing things when you were not here. And I'm sure now he was tricking me into giving information when he lived here, my lord."

"He charmed you, do not blame yourself."

"He tried again. He wanted me to spy on you, I think. I told him I wouldn't, then everything went black. I found myself locked up."