Chapter 60

It was not yet dawn when Ildri awoke. Keziah was sleeping where she had been when Ildri had fallen asleep. Ildri could hear breathing in the tent with her clearly. She leaned up, trying not to disturb the parrot. There was a body on Anya's cot, breathing deeply and evenly. Ildri was glad at least she was safe. Probably Jim was fine too, then, because if he was not, would Anya be so peaceful?

Lady Theresa's cot was also empty, but Ildri did not have the heart to find out the truth. She would know when she woke up again. She listened to Anya's breathing until sleep reclaimed her.

When Ildri next opened her eyes, the tent was empty. Ildri realized that she was still in the stolen ball gown from the night before. She had no doubt it looked awful as such dresses were not to be slept in, then she realized what a ridiculous thing it was to worry about. She sat up, and Keziah opened her eyes in a very unimpressed manner. When she realized that Ildri was getting up, she flew to her customary shoulder with a squauk and then closed her eyes again as if she would go back to sleep.

The morning was still early and camp was still quite quiet. Ildri searched for someone who might have news.

The soldier Erich was the first person she saw. "Did everyone come back last night?" she asked.

He shook his head and listed a couple of soldiers and Charles' father, who had been beaten to death before they arrived by overzealous guards. Ildri sighed, wishing it had not happened. Charles was probably very upset. She felt bad for his family.

"But the news is not all bad! The emperor is dead—well, I guess you knew that, though—and the royal family was freed last night!"

"That is wonderful news," Ildri agreed. She wondered if it would make any difference. Did it mean that the war was not lost after all? Or did it simply mean that it would be dragged out longer and more people would die? She wondered if what they had done the previous night had changed anything.

If Ildri thought about it, her magic had been used to kill people, and she was not certain how she felt about that. She tried not to imagine what it was Ty had not allowed her to see the night before. She figured that she should go back to bed but felt as if she would not sleep.

So instead she made her way over to the makeshift kitchen and started slicing the old slightly wrinkled potatoes, not because she was particularly hungry but for the comfort of a familiar task. She still felt exhausted but at least less disconnected than she had the night before.

She sliced some carrots and ham and cooked them together, drawing out the flavours as she did so. It could be breakfast for anyone up early, she decided. It smelled very good considering the unsatisfactory vegetables she had been forced to use.

It seemed that she was not the only one who thought so. A couple of soldiers turned up and she dished them out some. She dished out a bowl of her own and sat on the ground against the table and ate, feeding bits to Keziah in between bites.

"There you are," said a voice, and Ildri looked up to see Lord Wildwood, alive and at least somewhat well. His face looked bruised and he appeared to be limping. "That smells good, Ildri. May I have some?"

Considering that it was technically his food, Ildri nodded and stood up to dish some out for him. "No, I'll get it myself, Ildri. Being a viscount doesn't make me completely useless."

"But I never thought—" Ildri protested.

"It weighs heavily on me, today." He sat down a few feet from Ildri and began to chew gingerly. "How are you, Ildri?"

"I'm fine," she said. "Well, I guess I'm just shaken up by everything."

"I heard what happened. It's a strange feeling, having your magic withdrawn by someone, isn't it?" he asked.