Chapter 45

"Allan!" Ildri shrieked.

"Bloody hell—" she heard him mutter and she was pushed roughly into something hard. She could felt the bark of a tree scrape her hand as she landed in something prickly.

The sound of movement was in front of her and Ildri was torn whether she should move forward to help or backwards to flee. She wished that she could see and felt around for the lantern. There was a loud crack, and then light flickered in front of her.

It took Ildri's eyes a few seconds to adjust, and then she saw his face.

"I thought you were dead," she said through her utter shock. She had never thought that she would see him again.

"I did, too," he agreed. "Bloody bastard nearly gutted me. Luckily my friends got there in time."

"You were always lucky, Saul," she agreed automatically. She glanced around for Allan. He was laying face down on the ground, the basket and star flowers strewn all around him. "What did you do to him?" she asked as she rushed over to his prone form.

"I just hit him over the head. Tough bastard. He'll probably be fine." He shrugged, his handsome face looking completely cold and unconcerned in the lantern light. Ildri wondered how she had ever been so stupid as to believe she might love him. He was a cold unfeeling snake.

"Allan," she pleaded as she tried to see if he was breathing. "Please don't be dead!"

She could see Saul watching her with his head cocked slightly. "Never tell me you've replaced me with this old man, Ildri," he said with an annoyed expression.

"Of course not. He's just my friend."

"Good. Because, I would not like that. In fact, I confess myself disappointed at your lack of enthusiasm at my safe return, Ildri. I thought you loved me."

Ildri could see the knife and sword hanging loosely at his belt and could clearly remember the way he had moved to stab Ty that first night, quick as a predator. She swallowed hard. "I'm in shock. I really thought you were dead."

He shrugged. "You said that already. But as you can see, I'm not. I came back for you."

"Why?" she asked without thinking.

"Because you're my girl, of course."

"Oh, Saul," she said, trying to sound happy. It seemed a pathetic attempt to her ears.

Saul moved, but he did not go for his weapons. Instead he bent down and tilted her face up. She shut her eyes, feeling paralyzed. "Since he's your friend, I suppose I won't finish him off. Let's move away so we can talk, love."

Ildri nodded and he helped her up with the manners of a courtly gentleman. The same facade which had tricked her before. He led her through the trees until she could no longer see Allan. She did not protest, she wanted him as far away from the prone man as she could get him. Maxine would be devastated if he died.

Saul stopped suddenly. "I've decided we should marry."

"What?" she asked stupidly before she could stop and think. She cursed her loose tongue. Saul looked confused by her reaction.

He shook his head. "I realize that you thought that we were forever separated, but I confess that I'm disappointed by your reaction. All these months I've imagined how happy you would be when I came back for you, but all you can do is stare at me like I'm your worst nightmare."

Ildri felt a twinge of guilt. "I'm sorry, Saul." Even more than guilt she felt a strong desire to pacify him. She did not want to die, there were so many things she still wanted to do! She would say whatever he wanted to hear. "I was so upset that you were dead, Saul. I thought my life was over. And then I was kidnapped and I was so scared. I was just starting to accept that you were dead, and now, here you are. I am having trouble believing it! But I'm so glad that you're alive! I really am! I guess I'm just afraid to lose you again, like it's a dream and I'll wake up and you'll be gone again." She tried to look like she was going to cry and hoped desperately he would not see through her lies.