Chapter 62

Anya had thrown herself back into potion making virtually the very first spare moment she had arrived back at Wildwood. She was not convinced that all the fighting would be over so easily and she wanted to be prepared. She had worked until late, and started again in the morning. Jim had volunteered to help her and Anya had informed the twins that they were helping although even Damani did not really seem to mind as much as he had. He seemed to feel that helping was now a step in the direction of his new goals of becoming a supreme mage. Ildri and Maxine were out in the forest collecting more herbs with Sir Allan, Lord Ty and a few other soldiers.

Anya could barely believe how everything seemed to be working out for her, little though she felt she deserved it. From the moment that Thorne had stepped into her life it had been completely terrifying and awful, full of worries and new dangers and so much lying and deceit.

Jim had made it tolerable. She loved him so much and it had been the best day of her life, when he had willingly come into exile with her, although perhaps she had not realized it immediately. He was so wonderfully stable and noble and reliable and for once she had felt like she was not shouldering her burdens alone.

But the twins had remained in Edelland. As time passed more rumours of the discontent and the danger had reached her in exile and she had worried about them so much. And other people, too, but chiefly her beloved younger siblings.

Jim had helped her with that, too. It was he who had vouched for her that she be allowed to return to the country. She suspected Lord Wildwood had been involved in her pardoning, as well.

They had returned and Anya had been allowed to help the people who she had been forced to betray by Thorne. She, Jim and Lord Korves had fought those who were putting the king and queen on display like war trophies and it was she who had thrust her own flying potion in the king's hand which had allowed the two of them out of the castle. The queen whispered to Jim the directions to the young prince and upon dispatching two guards they had found him sleeping soundly in a cradle, unperturbed by the events of the night.

Anya remembered how the queen had cried when she had handed the prince to her.

And for the first time in as long as Anya could remember, she did not feel guilty. Perhaps she could never really make up for the things that she had done wrong, but she had made an important difference. Perhaps the scales had been evened and maybe now she could be happy. Maybe now she deserved it at last.

"Are you there?" Jim asked. She realized that she had been just staring into space, not mixing the bowl in her hand. She had not even noticed Sabin landed on her shoulder.

Anya smiled at him. "Sorry, I was just thinking."

"I could see that."

"I'm just happy," Anya said softly.

"I am, too," Jim agreed, looking at her.

"Get a room," Damani said, loudly. "Some of us are trying to become supreme mages here. No time for mushy nonsense!"

"Damani!" Kallie scolded. "It's very sweet, shut up and stop interrupting them, you idiotic knave."

"What did you—"

Anya rolled her eyes. "Kallie, don't call your brother names."

Damani's reply was loud and irritated, "But, Anya! I—wait a second. Did you just only scold Kallie?" He stared at his older sister as if she had grown a second head.

Kallie smiled smugly. "No one can be wrong all the time. Not even you, Damani."

"Kallie," Anya said in a warning tone.

Jim seemed content to just watch the argument play out. Anya was impressed how he never seemed perturbed by the twin's antics.

"Anya?"

"Yes, Jim?"

"I love you. Will you marry me?" Over the buzzing in her head, Anya didn't even hear Kallie's delighted gasp or Damani's loud, phoney retching in the background.

"Yes," she said simply, because she thought it might have been all that she ever wanted. She could not even think of more words to say at the moment, but she rather thought that did not matter.

Kallie was grinning and Damani was still making rude noises. "Go take a break, you two," Jim said. Damani charged away off as if he was barely escaping drowning in a sea of mush with his life and Kallie followed at a thrilled lope.

"You can go too, Sabin," Anya said to the crow sitting on her shoulder. He cocked his head, then flew after the twins.

"I was going to ask you sooner, but there was always something else you were worried about and I did not want to rush you, Anya."

"There always was," she agreed.

"We could get married here, Keaton would not mind, or perhaps at my home, or yours. We can live wherever you want. We can go back to the continent, or—"

Anya shrugged. "Let's decide that later," she said with a smile. Had she ever been so happy?

"Whatever you want."

It was time to be completely honest with him. No more lies nor deceits of any nature. "I love you, too, you know?" she said with a little smile.

"I know," he agreed and he kissed her.

And she felt pure, true happiness that she had never imagined that she might know.