Chapter 21

The time it took for the steward to fetch Lord Wildwood was so long that Ildri began to imagine that he had simply lied and abandoned her so he would not have to deal with her any longer.

The moment that Lord Wildwood walked through the door Ildri felt so much relief that she could not contain it. Ildri started crying.

Lord Wildwood let Ildri cry for a few seconds before he interrupted her. "Ildri, what is the matter? The steward said that it was urgent. And how is it that you came to be here? Why don't we sit down?" he asked her.

Ildri wiped her eyes off and collected herself. Crying would not help Ty in the slightest. Starting at the beginning, she told Lord Wildwood everything that had happened. She felt certain that Ty would not object to her divulging information about the situation to Lord Wildwood and if would not like it he should have told her more about what she should do. She knew that Lord Wildwood was as noble and reliable and loyal as the day was long. Only good could come from seeking his help.

Lord Wildwood did not speak until she had told the entire story. "Come, Ildri. Let us go and seek an audience with the king."

Ildri nodded and followed Lord Wildwood out of the room. It felt so good to have him with her and on her side. Ildri did not have to deal with everything alone.

She would have done it alone for Ty but she was very glad that she did not have to.

"His Majesty is holding court in the throne room right now, so we shall go directly to him," Lord Wildwood explained.

"I can't believe it is so easy," she told him.

"Some things are much easier when one is a marquis," he replied with a quick glance at her. "And I must ask, what happened to your appearance?"

Ildri had forgotten in all the excitement that she looked like an ugly crone. "It's just a potion that Ty gave me to disguise myself. He said that it would wear off eventually."

"It seems that there are more witches and warlocks in this land than I was aware of," he said musingly as they continued along.

"Me too," she agreed.

They arrived at great doors and Lord Wildwood spoke to the herald quietly. The herald nodded and preceded them into the room.

"The Marquis of Wildwood and Ildri of Wildwood," said the herald in his booming voice.

There were only a few nobles in the room and they did not seem particularly interested in the proceedings, talking amongst themselves. Ildri could see the king talking quietly to a group of men standing near to him. The queen was sitting quietly beside her husband as she watched the room with intelligent eyes.

Ildri felt like a child in a room full of giants as she looked around at the self possessed nobles around her. She was more thankful than ever that Lord Wildwood was helping her. He seemed completely at ease. It was no wonder that she felt secure to have her life in his hands.

She could not help thinking again of how fortunate she was to have been taken in by his father.

Lord Wildwood walked up to the dais upon which the thrones sat and bowed low. Ildri curtseyed, hoping that was what she was supposed to be doing. She wished that she knew.

"Your Majesty, some troubling news has reached my ears."

"Lord Wildwood, speak then," the king said, turning his full attention to his subject.

"I cannot speak freely here," Lord Wildwood cautioned. "Involving the potential spy in my household."

The king looked thoughtful. "Yes. Clear the chamber," he commanded.