Chapter 38

Ildri's first stop was in the kitchen. "Ildri!" said chef as she bustled over to envelope the slight girl in a hug. Keziah shrieked her displeasure. "Tell me, how did everything go?" chef glanced at the parrot but still spoke in her calm voice.

Ildri sat at the counter and told chef everything. "Oh, I almost forgot. Here," Ildri said as she dug the spices for chef out of her bag. "We stopped at a fair."

"How interesting," chef said as she inspected the jars. "This is a fine gift Ildri. I thank you."

"You're welcome. I wanted to bring you something."

"And what about this bird?" chef asked.

"I guess... Well, I rather accidentally ended up with her. She became attached to me and I really did not have much choice. The merchant practically gave her to me."

"Buy a trinket," Keziah squacked.

"How odd that she has a voice. Is she intelligent?"

Ildri glanced at the bird on her shoulder. "I was told that she is. I've yet to see it. Do you have any vegetables that she can have? She likes them."

Chef nodded and fetched some for Keziah. "Pretty lady," Keziah whistled.

As chef set the vegetables on the counter the twins and Matt came bustling through the door.

"Ildri! You're back," Kallie said.

"I brought you three something, too," Ildri said. Keziah fluttered to the counter and occupied herself with eating vegetables from the dish chef offered.

Ildri handed the candy she had bought to the children.

"Thank you," Kallie said politely and Matt echoed her.

Damani shoved one in his mouth the moment that she handed him his bag.

"Damani! Where are your manners?" Kallie demanded.

"Mphankoo," Damani said with his mouth full. Kallie rolled her eyes and ate a piece of candy more slowly.

Damani swallowed the candy swiftly. "Is that your familiar?" he asked, pointing at Keziah.

"Maybe," Ildri allowed. "I don't know."

"W-what is it?" Matt asked.

"A familiar is an animal that is magically connected to a witch or wizard," Damani explained with a tone of bored superiority.

"He meant what sort of bird is it," Kallie said, shooting her brother a dirty look.

"It's called a parrot," Ildri explained, ignoring Damani and Kallie's twin glares at each other. "I was told that they are intelligent and from some foreign land. Honestly though, she was so busy acting up that the merchant practically threw her at me."

"Bloody mess," said Keziah in what Ildri imagined might be perfect agreement.

"It talks!" Damani exclaimed.

"Don't say bloody, Keziah," Ildri said. "Yeah, it seems they do."

"Is it magic?" Damani asked, moving towards the bird. Keziah gobbled down the rest of her food and flew across the room. She looked at the children with a very ominous stare.

Ildri sighed. "It's better if you leave her be. She doesn't seem to like anyone."

"I think she would make a great familiar," Damani said. "I think she seems bloody magical."

"Damani!" snapped Kallie.

"Bloody magical," whistled Keziah.

Ildri rolled her shoulders and rubbed her neck. "You know, I'm tired after my journey," she said. "I'm going to go lay down."