Chapter 23

It was Ildri's twenty-second day in the capital when Lord Wildwood finally returned. She was more than glad to see him and very glad at the possibility she would be back to Wildwood soon.

She could see the beloved towers in her mind and she could not wait to be on her way.

The latter part of her stay at the capital had not been as terrible as the first few days. Having Charles for companionship made the time go by mercifully more quickly. It was only when she was secluded in her room with only her own thoughts for company that she felt really awful.

Ildri was sitting in just such a state on the day that Lord Wildwood had arrived. Charles was off working and she had nothing to do. She had been told that Lord Wildwood had come but she had not had the opportunity to see him yet.

As if by thinking about him, not a minute later there was a knock at the door.

Ildri went to the door and opened it. A snotty servant stood there. "You have been summoned to Sir Geoffrey's office."

"Thank you," Ildri agreed, thinking it was odd that Charles had not been the one to come and get her. She supposed that they thought she could find her way around the castle by now. "I'll go now."

The snotty servant nodded and left. Ildri guessed that they saw her as some sort of backwards backwoods person who was completely undeserving of the king's graces. She supposed that they might be right. But she had not asked to be thrust into the difficult situation.

Ildri made her way to Sir Geoffrey's office and knocked on the door. "Enter."

Ildri pushed the door open. "Lord Wildwood!" she cried, more than happy to see him.

"Ildri, how are you?" he asked.

"I'm great, now," she said happily.

"Are you ready to go home?" he asked.

"I'm ready the moment you are," she said fervently.

Lord Wildwood chuckled. "Can you wait two days? I do have some business."

"Of course," she said feeling a bit embarrassed. She belatedly noticed that not only was Sir Geoffrey in the room but Charles was also sitting behind a smaller desk writing. He smiled at her when she looked at him but his expression seemed a bit strained.

Lord Wildwood smiled kindly at Ildri. "I thought you would be interested to know that the force near Wildwood has been routed and several of the men have been taken prisoner."

"Really?"

Sir Geoffrey nodded. "They are being interrogated as we speak. The information that you brought was invaluable to the king. The king wishes to reward you for your loyalty and perseverance." Sir Geoffrey said and he handed her a leather bag.

"Me?" She was shocked.

"Yes. It was invaluable."

"But what about Ty? Did they find him? It was his information, really."

Sir Geoffrey's face looked bleak. "I'm afraid we did not find him, Miss Ildri."

Ildri's heart sunk. Of course not. She grasped the bag. She did not really want it, but she could not refuse something given by the king. "Thank you."

"No, Miss Ildri, thank you. While the schemes and wars continue, this is a setback for Scelus. We will get to the bottom of everything."

Ildri summoned a smile. She was glad about that. But... What about Ty? It had been him who had done everything. Ignoring the whole disastrous beginning to her journey, he had saved her and brought her almost the whole way. She had only slowed him down and caused his capture.