Chapter 35

Ildri was pulled from her darkening thoughts by the scraping of chairs as everyone stood up. Maxine was talking. "Thank you, Mister Notte. I really do value your insight."

"You know that it is always my pleasure, Miss Maxine. I will head out now, though. I have a few more stops before I return to Viersen."

Mister Notte looked towards Ildri. "And it was good to meet you, Miss Ildri."

"And you," she agreed shakily.

"Sir Allan."

"Notte."

Mister Notte made his way towards the door and Maxine followed him. He left with a jaunty wave of his hat, and was soon out of sight.

"I'm off to make sure we have no unwanted visitors," Allan said as he made his way towards the main road.

"Shall we return to work?" Maxine asked with a very large and unnatural smile.

"Yes," Ildri agreed. "Right after we talk."

Maxine's smile dissolved. "I can't say I'm surprised."

"Ty is the son of your duke?" Ildri said without preamble.

"Well, I suppose the cat is out of the bag. I suppose he can't be angry at me for telling you now. He's the youngest of three sons, Kent, Richard and Tyson. And they have one younger sister, Eleanor," Maxine explained. "As you no doubt heard, Kent is now the current duke after the death of their father."

"And did Ty—Tyson have something to do with his death?"

"He did nothing wrong. But I'll leave that for him to tell you."

"He's most likely dead by now, Maxine."

Maxine shrugged, "True, but I believe he still lives. It's not the first time everyone thought him dead."

"I guess it doesn't matter anyway. I'm just a servant anyway."

Maxine smiled. "You're not just a servant. You're also a witch now, too."

"That's so much better."

"Notoriety is nothing to sneer at. It's like beauty, it can harm you or it can be used to your advantage. A double edged sword, like any power."

Ildri shrugged. Maxine smiled. "Do you think me vain, Ildri?"

"No."

"Yet I improve my appearance in subtle ways using magic, and I live off the vanity of others who must keep their hollow shells sparkling because they believe they have nothing else to offer."

Ildri had no idea where Maxine was going so she simply listened.

"But those who are clever can learn to use it to influence events for the good.

Ildri nodded. Maxine was being strangely serious.

"Why do you think that I agreed to teach you?" Maxine asked.

"I don't know."

"Do you know what I see when I look at you, Ildri?"

"I don't know that either."

"I see a young woman who appears to be very ordinary. Because you are pretty, but not beautiful, you have not been allowed to believe that all that matters is your pretty face. You are not exceptionally intelligent, but you have passion and persistence which goes hand in hand. You have no control over your power, but it allowed you to learn humility instead of arrogance. You can be kind and can dream of better things, and there is no value that can be placed on that. There is so much potential in you, Ildri, and the slightest polish might bring it forth. I can see that you will become a force to be reckoned with when you finally understand that."