27

Today is the day.

The day I've been nervously waiting for.

I threw on a black pencil skirt and a white tidy collared top. I could barely contain my excitement I couldn't even stand properly in my heels as I tied up my hair with my fidgety fingers.

"So here..." Val says as I quickly run up the stairs of the gloomy building and down the hall to meet with him, "is yours." He opens the room's door in front of his office.

I gasp at how big it is. Compared to Val's office, mine was much brighter. A wide desk was located next to Val's big door with cute pink flowers in a vase.

"Did you add that?" I ask as I bend to smell the pretty scent on them.

"Yes, there isn't much in here because I figured you would want to make it your own."

"Thank you Mr. Russo." I say sitting at my new desk trying to hold in a smirk. I pause as I stare off into the distance remembering that awhile ago I said I'd never want to work for this dumbass. Well shit, it's too late now.

"You good?" He asks as he checks his watch and drops a huge stack of papers on my desk. "I need all of these signed by 10." He doesn't make eye contact as he walks away.

I shrug the weird feeling off my shoulders as I start signing the papers.

"Yo..." An annoying looking man knocks on my door and sticks his head in. "I heard you were American, I'm Marco."

"I'm Kate." I greet him as I lean over to shake his hand.

"Oh nice tattoo." He grabs my wrist to look at it. "I swear to God I remember seeing someone with the exact same one... well anyway I need some shit done in an hour but I have to go somewhere so can you do it for me."

I pull my wrist away as I frown at him. "Well I'm not-"

"Great thanks! I'll email you the files." He arrogantly smiles as he closes the door behind him.

I was on the verge to get mad but I take a deep breath and I calm myself. "It's only the first day, maybe he actually does need help." I mumble to myself as I scratch my head. "What? This will take like 3 hours to complete." My eyes bolt open on my laptop screen as I look at the huge amount of files he sent me. "Shit I should start now if the deadline is in an hour."

***

It's been about an hour and I'm stressfully hustling to finish this assholes job. I'm too kind for my own good sometimes. I look at me nails as I notice the nail polish chipped off from all the biting I've been unconsciously doing.

"Kate!" I hear a deep voice shout.

"Yes?" I ask as I slowly open his door and I push my fallen strand of hair behind my ear.

"Can you give me the signed papers."

"About that... I-I didn't really finish them yet." I say nervously as I fiddle with the door handle.

"Come here." He coldly says as he stands up and puts his hands on his desk. "I take my job very seriously and if you can't do your part right, we're gonna have a problem here."

Does he not realize he practically begged me to be here. But then again, I understand why he'd be mad. He acts so different when he's in the working zone.

"I was working on something else" I gulp, "sorry." I trail off as my voice dies down.

"Something else?" He motions with his head for me to sit on the chair in front of his desk as he unbuttons the top of his dark blue shirt.  "Something more important than the task I assigned you?"