Chapter 26: The Fight!

Please Note: Statements between % something in italics % are game system messages. 

***************************************************************************************************

Raka walked down deep in thought. His destination was the Magic Academy and his purpose, to meet with Lady Verina. And as he walked he kept thinking about his plans. He had learned as much as he could from Thelmova for now and perhaps, he should now plan to move to the fishing village of Fellon.

He had thought about it before, but not realizing when he would be able to learn the water magic, his plans did not have a timeline. Now he had to seriously consider when he should move out. So he started thinking about the things left to do in Thelmova. The top of that list would be learning the Herbal Medicine skill. Even though it was a discovered skill which meant he did not need to stay in the capital, he still needed the books. He had noticed other oddities.

There was a huge library but no book shops. 'Maybe printing was a problem?' Raka could imagine that printing presses would not have been invented yet. So buying or selling books would have been quite difficult. Though couldn't there be magical means to copy books? Looking at the missing book shops however, he thought perhaps that may not be possible or maybe very difficult. Which meant that most of the copies would have been created by hand, limiting the amount. It made sense to have libraries then. This way a lot of people could get access to such books without the need to own them. On the other hand, it made books exclusive to libraries. Which meant if there was no library at the fishing village, he would not be able to continue studying for his Herbal Medicine skill.

Ofcourse, lending out books should have been an alien concept at this point in time. There still remained another option, albeit a non ethical one. And right now, Raka was highly enticed to choose that one. Though his moral compass was creating doubt as usual. Which is why he was deep in thought.

'Speaking of oddities, there is religion but no priests or religious institutions.' On earth, every civilization, ancient or modern, had some kind of person who acted as priest. You know, the link between man and God. They may not have a particular building like a temple or cathedral and they may worship one or many Gods and Goddesses, but they always had a priest. Based on that, the religion on Ilmentia was weird, or maybe it was another oddity with mysterious explanations.

Thinking this and that, Raka reached Cassian's office. He knocked.

"Please come in." Lady Verina's clear voice sounded out. Raka entered.

"Ah hello Raka. You are a bit early aren't you."

"Only a bit. They said you were in so I came up. I was half expecting you to be with someone else."

"Hah...yeah it's been busy lately. I am sooo tired. My head hurts. My body hurts. I am so sleepy. In fact I would have dozed off already, if you hadn't come. When will all this be over?!" Lady Verina complained with feeling.

"Good work then, holding out for so long. If I can help out, let me know." Raka said.

"Hmm...ah no, it's mostly talking to nobles and diplomats and stuff like that so you won't be any help. Thanks for offering though. Wait a minute...you can help!" Lady Verina suddenly brightened up.

"Please give me a massage! I really really need it." She batted her eyes.

Raka sighed. "All right please lie down......"

A few minutes later, wherein Raka ended up all sweaty, most of which was not from the labour involved and Lady Verina ended up content and serene though blushing for some reason, they resumed talking.