Chapter 16: Old and New

Please Note: Statements between % something in italics % are game system messages. 

***************************************************************************************************

The 8th floor of the magic academy. Raka followed the four men in armor including Emilius and Lord Holtimius inside a big room full of mirrors hanging on many sided walls. There was an ornate basin in the center of the room. There was also a bookshelf containing various books and a large map of the island on one of the walls. The room was designed in the shape of a decagon, with nine walls having a mirror each.

Raka observed the peculiar design as he entered. An older man with lots of grey in his hair but still having the feel of energy was filling water in the basin. He turned around as he heard the company enter and started greeting them.

"Welcome Lord Holtimius. I hope you are well. How's the Lady doing?"

"Yes, she is fine. Still gets tired easily but the medicine this time is helping a lot. She almost has the color in her face back."

"Ah that's wonderful to hear. And how are you General? Having good food as usual?"

"Don't joke with me Sambal. I have been hungry since my wife put me on that healthy diet! Ah never thought I could miss meat so much. I lost around 10 stones atleast."

"Hahaha...." and the group laughed.

'So this guy was a general.' There still remained one guy in armor who remained silent. 'He is dressed similar to Emilius, so he might also be a guard captain', Raka deduced.

"Hmmm...what do I see here? Is he one of the Goddess's children? Why is he here?" Sambal asked in a concerned tone.

"Oh...pardon me. I thought it would be a good idea to have him here." Lord Holtimius replied. "His name is Raka and apparently he is Verina's student." he continued.

"Ah you're the lad who asked for an appointment just now aren't you?"

"Yes I am" Raka replied.

%

Meet with Sambal complete.

%

"Well it still doesn't answer my question...why is he here?"

"Ah...seeing as he was the one who alerted us to the situation in the first place, I thought it would be a good idea to have him around. So he can answer any questions we might have." Lord Holtimius said.

The general nodded.

Sambal sighed.

"Alright. But he will still have to sign the official secrets agreement if he is to stay here. If not, he will have to leave." Sambal said.

"Um...what is the official secrets agreement?" Raka asked interested.

"It is basically something which ensures that you do not tell what happens here to someone. And if you wish to stay here, you need to sign."

Raka pondered for a bit. But looking at Lord Holtimius and the general's encouraging nods, he decided to take the plunge.

"I agree."

Sambal went to the book shelf and took out a page. He then waved his hands and then wrote something on it.

"Please put in your name where I have left it blank, local language is fine, and put your thumbprint at the bottom with a prick of your finger." Sambal directed and Raka followed.

As soon as Raka touched the paper he realized that energy had been embedded into it. This was a spell scroll though different from the ones he was used to making.