Chapter 12: A step forward!

Please Note: Statements between % something in italics % are game system messages. 

***************************************************************************************************

As usual during lunch, Swamy went to practice his flute. He didn't know if he had gotten good enough but atleast his parents praise had helped. But just in case they were partial with his playing, more practice couldn't hurt. And so he was in the sound room practicing his flute. After playing, he listened to the recorded sound and try to judge his mistakes and probably how to make his sound better. Music, he had learned was the toughest thing there was. For even if he made no mistakes, the sound did not sound beautiful. There was just something about art, which only another human could analyze and say that it is good...or not.

Practicing alone, however, he hoped that it would sound good to others as well. 'Atleast it didn't sound horrible or my parents would have told me!' he consoled himself.

The next time Swamy logged in, was after his parents left. Monday was an embarrassing day, more embarrassing than the parent-teacher meets in school. Atleast in school everyone's parents visited. In college, they stood out even more. What's more his professor turned out to be someone they knew from before, they had met during one of the conferences. And as such, much of Monday morning was discussing the advantages and disadvantages of virtual gaming on humans, correction one particular human, Swamy. Showing his parents around campus was not bad, but when the head of department is walking around with them, you stick out like the sun in the night sky.

His parents left happy and for that he was pretty happy.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

%

You have grown. Your Age is now 10.

%

This was the first message Raka got after logging in. Still wondering how the 'Age' system worked! Computing had become almost light speed compared to the slow computers of earlier years, like 2014. Which made it possible for VR games to employ many many attributes to define a component. For example 'Art'. Thousands of points were used to define what looked beautiful in the VR world, which would closely relate to the real world. It also made possible to create art in the game. In fact for everything existing and player-created thousands of points were applied to come up with its properties and quality. Even the experience each monster gave, was mathematically calculated based on a number of factors

So to simply say that the 'age' system acted this way was nigh impossible. It may be simple but it also could be a factor of a lot of points. In any case, somethings can't be figured out just in a couple of months of gameplay.

Accepting it as is, he moved to resume his classes on magic language.

Raka was close now. The entire morning, he spent listening to instructors and in the afternoon he moved on to the magic library to peruse books. Just as it was getting dark and the sun was getting down, he finally got the message,

%

You have grown up. Your age is now 11.

Magic Language: 100%

You have learned Magic Language. You can now read and write Magic Language.

%

'Hmm well its good that I learned magic language but whats with my age! Hah anyway, time to learn the spell writing skill. I better meet with Lady Verina now.' And he headed towards the training hall.