Chapter 40: Blemishes and Boredom

/******************************************************

Author Note: Finally completed the chapter.

----------------------------------------------------------

Authors Note (old one): Thanks all for your support. Never realized that people would still read it after I stopped writing for so long. Just wanted to start, even if it was a bad start cause even that is a start. Its been so long since I have written that it has gotten hard to write. Hope the bad start helps!

*******************************************************/

An ordinary ordinary day, the glaring sun pouring down, the serene wind blazing by, a bow rose upon the crest...

Splash!

"MONKEY! DON'T DILLY DALLY! Hurry up and tighten those slack sails!"

"Screech....keeech keech keech!"

"DAMN PARROT! If you dare open your mouth, I am going to shove a monkey down your throat!"

"cackle...*gulp."

And the bow rose upon the serene crest.

CRACCCCCKKKLEEE!! THUNDEEERRRRR!!! WHOOOoooooo~!

Half the sky revolted. Raka sighed.

'Such a unique situation can only occur in this sea!'

Half the sky was deep black like night, thunderclouds moving like waves while the other half, as if trying to fight back, was as bright and calm as day.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"What separates reality and virtual reality?" A female voice asked as a pair of eyes scanned across the classroom finding many pairs. "Many books and movies and novels have come out with the concept of being trapped in virtual reality. For now, let's assume that this is possible. Then in those books and movies, the main character would be trying to break out of the virtual reality world in search of reality. A common theme and one which is quite popular among people. Who knows maybe in the near or far future it may even become possible! Sounds scary, right? Or maybe some of you actually hope for this to happen.. to live your life in the virtual world? Be heroes, gladiators or powerful women?"

Dr. Rita Talvar, one of the professors at Bangalore University, was taking this week's guest lecture for Swamy's class. Her speciality was Human interaction with Virtual Machines and as per normal schedule, Raka would have encountered her lecture during the third year. But now, she was sharing her thoughts as the guest lecturer today.

"Actually, the reason for research in human - virtual interaction stems a lot from such ideas. Not to entrap but to empower. For example, psychiatrists often use suggestive mechanisms to treat patients. How is it any different from simulating those situations in virtual reality? Or how about robotic control in surgeries via video/audio? Link it to the virtual world, and you can do the procedure like you are there yourself.

And why be limited to just these? How about exploring space? Send a probe out into the depths of space and link it to a virtual world and you can see space like you are actually a space traveller. Wouldn't it be far better than looking at Mars on TV?"

"Um..don't they have space reality games out in the market? Don't those let people feel like they are in Mars or the Moon?" Some one interrupted at this point. Everyone looked over to see the girl who had spoken. She currently had her hand raised as she asked. Maybe she realized, embarrassingly, that raising her hand should have preceded the question, but she slowly lowered her hand.