Chapter 36: Win or lose?

3rd Person PoV:

Warming up was simply a short display of skill in volleyball. A setter only stood at the edge of the court, while spikers readied themselves to bring a strong impact on their spikes. It was a forewarning on all the players present. 

Yukio's eyes scanned through every member warming up, be it his own team or the one opposite them. He wouldn't risk their chances of winning, especially with his own determination to go up against his former team. Shirabu on the side continued to set the ball, his eyes lighting up once the ball left his fingers, and watched as Ushijima spiked it down. The ball shot up to the bleachers, a person barely catching it.

"Hm? That's the newbie.... The one Salami claimed to be the next ace." He murmured, narrowing his eyes at the freshmen. His spike was strong, but the amount of force and power was clearly filled with inexperience. 

"Hah~ I wonder how Salami can groom him to be Ushijima's successor?" 

More spikes and warm-ups came, leading until Kyotani found himself being the next. He planned to use his left, but a single glare from Yukio made him stop. "Tsk. What's the point if they've already seen it?" He questioned, stepping back before sprinting to the ball.

Retracting his left arm, he held in his breath and slammed his palm on the ball. A satisfying slam was heard across the gym, silencing the crowd before Seijoh began to loudly cheer. "Hah! See that you fox-bastard!" He laughed, smirking triumphantly.

His grin faltered, an irk mark on his forehead once he saw Yukio's unimpressed look. It resembled a disappointed parent rather than a challenging smirk. Poor Kyotani.

Yukio rolled his eyes, soon taking Kyotani's position. He sighed tiredly, waiting for Oikawa to set the ball into the air. Sprinting to the ball, he felt his feet leave the ground. As if a fox hunting down his prey, he grinned wolfishly and slammed his on the ball.

A deafening boom resonated in the gym, silencing everyone watching. While the entire team of Seijoh was smirking smugly at the surprise and shock of Shiratorizawa's students. Yukio sent the team of swans a blank look, before giving them a challenging smirk. The first one to back down loses.

"That guy... When did he get so cocky?" Semi grinned, cold sweat rolling off his forehead. The Yukio he knew was a shy and quiet boy, not this smug and cunning fox. He changed too much to once be Shiratorizawa junior high's precious setter.

Ushijima narrowed his eyes at the ravenette, a small smirk forming on his usually thin-lined lips. He turned around, hiding his proud look. "Don't lose face. He's our opponent now." He declared, earning nods from those who knew of Yukio.

Ushijima's eyes shined in excitement, yet a possessive glint in his eyes appeared. 'But he was my setter first.'

« First set »

« First set »

Iwaizumi sucked in a sharp breath, sweat rolling off his forehead as he spun the ball between his hands. Oikawa gave him a thumbs up, his entire team giving him a subtle encouragement. Tossing the ball into the air, he aimed it at the edge of the court, but not enough for it to give him an out. 

"Mine!" 

Yamagata dived for the ball, bouncing it from his fist and sending it up into the air. "Ushijima!"

The entire team was alerted by the call, watching the ball travel from Shirabu's palm to Ushijima. Oikawa, Matsukawa, and Hanamaki who were positioned in the front, bundle together and jumped in unison. Ushijima slammed his hand on the ball, narrowly escaping the three's block and swooping down to Watari.

The libero gulped, readying himself for the impact. The ball slammed on his arms, making him grit his teeth but he was able to save it. The ball was up in the air, but it was too low. 

"Gah!" 

Many gasps were heard after watching Watari receive the ball, the libero stumbling and landing on his bottom. "Nice one Watari!!" Iwaizumi grinned, encouraging the boy to get back on his feet.

Watari grinned, 'Thank god I asked Yukio to help with receiving... My arms are too sore from that.' He sweatdropped, hurrying back to his position.

"Iwa-chan!"

Iwaizumi spiked the ball, only for Goshiki to sloppily receive it. "Don't mind! You'll get it soon!!" Kindaichi encouraged from the side, a nervous yet excited look on him. Kunimi beside him narrowed his eyes, analyzing Shiratorizawa's movements. He didn't ask for so much advice from Yukio for nothing. He needed to be the team's strategist outside the court.

It was a heated match, both teams having to suffer bruises on their arms from their powerful spikers

It was a heated match, both teams having to suffer bruises on their arms from their powerful spikers. Yukio and Ushijima. Poor watari was crying in relief once he was of the court, begging for Yuka to numb the pain on his arms.

It was Yukio's turn to serve, sucking in a deep breath. He closed his eyes, focusing on the ball between his hands as the sound of the whistleblowing entered his ears. Tossing the ball into the air, he ran up to the line and jumped. A loud boom echoed across the gym, no one in shiratorizawa was able to save the ball. Yamagata cursed quietly, as Shirabu who was placed on the back slowly trudged to the ball. 

Scowling at it, he reluctantly tossed it to the other team, meeting Yukio's mocking smirk. 'That bastard!!' He thought. 

Yukio snickered. taking back the ball as he readied to serve once more. He enjoyed the momentary silence across the court and served the ball with a hard smack.

Yamagata dived to the ball, barely saving it from hitting the ground. He sent it towards Shirabu, the setter tossing it up the air without any signal to a specific player. Goshiki boldly jumped for it, smacking his palm and slamming the ball down...

Hanamaki was able to block the spike, the ball bouncing off his hand, "One touch!!" 

Oikawa dashed to the ball and waited for his fingertips to meet the synthetic leather. "Mad dog!" HE yelled as the bleached blonde grinned.

Kyotani slammed his palm into the ball with all his might, watching as it bounced of Yamagata's arms. "take that Shiratorizawa!!"