Chapter 5: The husband. 🤵🏻

I winced in pain, as many needles peirced my hand. I flickered my eyes open to see my angry looking husband staring at me. I shut my eyes close again but it was no use since he had seen me opening them. Slowly and gradually I opened my right eye and found him staring at me. Giving up, I forced both my eyes open and sighed.

"Good evening." It wasn't a greeting, it sounded more like a mock.

"What are you doing here?" I asked lazily trying to recall everything but everything was going into blur.

'I was called." Was his brief answer.

"Where are Adam and Hira?" I asked, in my weak cracked voice.

"Is he the guy you love who doesn't love you back?" He asked, surprisingly interested in my sunken love story. He pulled out a stool close to bed and insisted that I give him a detailed answer.

"Yes," Was all I said. Sohail nodded and stared at me.

"So when is he getting married?" He asked, even though I had told him last night.

"Next month on 3rd April." I answered. He leaned forward and raised a brow.

"You sure he doesn't like you? Cause I think he does." Sohail asked.

"Why, what makes you say so?" I asked with with bit of curiosity bubbling inside me.

"He wouldn't let me inside the room, saying I should respect her privacy," A smile grew up to my lips, even when we were kids Adam would always guard us girls and protect us. He was always that way. "Stop smiling, the guy was too annoying so to let myself inside I showed him our wedding pictures and now my guards are guarding the door from outside." My eyes grew huge, I was shocked and confused.

"Oh Allah, my phone.. where is my phone??" Sohail looked concerned for once, he handed me his phone since I couldn't look for mine. I remembered Adam's number so I dialed him. "Please pick up the phone.. please pick up.." I heaved a sigh when he did. "Oh Thank goodness, Adam you picked up. It's Samreen."

"Thank God, it's you. Some guy barged into the room saying he was your husband. I thought he was desperate enough to photoshop your pictures but when he-" Adam rambled.

I interrupted him. "I'm sorry for-"

He interrupted back. "Hey the doctors said you needed rest, but if this guy is still haunting you I can pick you up." He suggested.

I smiled at the cute gesture. "Thank you for everything you did for me today. This guy is my husband and I'll tell you the whole story some other day. Just do me a favour don't share this with anyone else. Keep it just between us three, okay?" I insisted.

"Yeah sure, don't worry look after yourself well, and I texted Ahmed too.." Adam said, I nodded on the other side of the phone as a tear rolled down my eyes. Why was I married?? Why can't we have a happy ending.

"Okay, Allah Hafiz!" I said and dismissed. My eyes fell on Sohail who was just blankly staring at me in amusement.

"Why don't you tell him about how you really feel?" Sohail asked, giving it a thought.

"And enhance the awkwardness between us even more, even though I know he loves Amna. You should have seen him today, the way he was so into the silver dress because she wanted one.." I wiped away another tear that rolled down my cheek.

"Rania and I were so much in love until she thought it was too soon for us to get married. Apparently she decided to run and leave me at the alter alone." Sohail opened up a little but paused.

"What if she comes back and says that she regretted everything she did, what will you do? Will you accept her?"

"I will be angry at her first, then I'll be heart broken but I don't know if I'll ever be able to forgive her."

"You forgive people once you overcome the pain they have caused you." I said, Sohail nodded.

"It's not about forgetting or forgiving.. I might not be able to accept her like you asked."

"You can accept her. I'm just temporary if that's what's holding you."

"You are not temporary." He said, I bored my eyes into his but we were driven apart by the sudden clicking of the door. Sohail flinched back when the lady nurse walked inside the room and checked my vitals. Sohail pulled out his phone and got busy. I forced a smile at her until she was done.

"You are her husband?" The lady nurse turned to Sohail who was too busy scrolling through his phone. I tapped his thigh, he looked up and the nurse repeated herself. "You are her husband, right?" Sohail dumbly nodded and raised his brow at me. "Your wife can be discharged today if you promise to keep her well, feed her light food and make her walk after every meal-"

"Perhaps than she will be staying here cause I'm in no position to make such promises." Sohail replied and went back to scrolling on his phone. The nurse turned to me.

"You guys are fighting, and it seems bad." The nurse bent down and whispered to my ear level.

"She doesn't want to live with me, she tends to look after herself on her own." Sohail answered for me, though I was out of words but I would've answered better.

"If that's it than dear, you are not good at it. You really need to take care of yourself." She insisted and I could see Sohail smirking at me.

"Egoistic people?" Sohail muttered but I heard him right and wished if I could throw a punch at him.

"You are not handling the break up thing really well dear, if he came to visit you then I'm sure he tends to work things out." The lady said, I looked at the badge on her chest that rode, 'Shazia Ali'.

"I'm not the one who broke up, it's the other guy she can't forget about." Sohail added, was he really just scrolling through the phone or was it all just to irrirate me.

"Oh it's complicated." Shazia said and nodded to herself before walking out of the room, wishing us good luck. Sohail scared the poor lady off.

Just as she shut the door, the igniting fire within me burst out. "Can't you keep your mouth shut??" I shouted at Sohail, but then I realised I was being too loud and rude so went silent. Sohail just stared at me, I expected him to shout back at me but he didn't utter a word just stared at me, like he would.

"I'm sorry." We both said in unison, and looked into each other's eyes.

"I... umm. No one really knows about my feelings for Adam and I don't want you to make fun of me in front of people. I told you because I was marrying you and wanted to be honest with you." I gave my little speech and waited for him to say something back.

"I appreciate your honesty dear wife, I'm sorry." He apologised once again, and surprisingly I found that cute.