Chapter 9: The Bedroom. 🛌

After having dinner, I helped with washing the utensils until Aunty walked into the kitchen and pushed me out. "I'm not cruel enough to let you do such things on your first day." She chuckled.

"No, Aunty. I just wanted to help." I reasoned. It wasn't that, I was scared to go to our bedroom. It would be awkward to share a room and I couldn't sleep anywhere else, cause Uncle Ghana and Aunty Laila would end up finding out.

"Go to your bedroom dear, take a good night sleep." She insisted. "The maid will look into it." I nodded at her and walked upstairs. I realised a breath I didn't know I was holding and knocked on the door before opening it.

I didnt know if I should've knocked or it but what's done is done. I carefully stepped inside, my eyes landed on Sohail who was sitting on the couch, his legs on the foot rest with laptop on his stomach as he typed. I looked around awkwardly, we didn't share a gaze so I just sat on the bed, my side of the bed was beside the couch, the empty bedside table said it all. I just climbed on the bed and crawled over to my side and immediately grabbed my phone to avoid the uncomfortness.

I looked at my phone screen at it was just 9:30pm, I wasn't a early bird nor an early sleeper I was four hours earlier on bed so I just texted on our siblings WhatsApp group, ASM. A standing out for Ahmed, S for me and M for Mahreen.

Me: Hey! Guys...👋
Mahreen: hey what's up, how's everything?
Me: we just had dinner with his family now we are in our bedroom.
Mahreen: Ohhh..😚
Me: I don't know what to say, he seems to be on his laptop.
Mahreen: You guys aren't even talking??😒
Ahmed: Guys hate to talk when they are working.🤐
Me: So I shouldn't talk?
Mahreen: Don't listen to him, off course you should. It's your first night.. People do way more than talking.😏
Ahmed: Eww gross! Mahreen.
Me: Exactly! 💯
Ahmed: Samreen, he likes football.
Me: you really think I can talk to him about that? I don't know a thing.
Ahmed: Why don't you sleep then?
Me: Isn't it rude to sleep. Ahmed, you're a guy what if your wife sleeps on your wedding night? What would you feel?
Mahreen: It's rude.
Ahmed: I don't know it depends.. your case is different. I think you guys should talk a little.
Mahreen: Finally!!!🥱
Me: So tell me what do I say?
Ahmed: Asking him about work would be weird cause Dad already interviewed him today.
Me: You guys are making it scarier and harder.
Mahreen: Are you going to share a bed?
Ahmed: No he will sleep on the floor.🙄
Me: guys! I'm nervous here..

"I'm closing the lights, is that okay with you?" Sohail asked and cleared his throat, the phone almost slipped through my fingers but I kept composure.

"Yeah sure." I said.

Me: he closed the lights, bye.
Mahreen: Oh!
Ahmed: best of luck. Bye.

I turned off my phone and set my alarms, but was flinched when the mattress squeezed, Sohail sat on his side of the bed, took of his watch and put his phone on charging. Then gently he laid down on the bed, with me facing his back. "Football, I like football." I started.

"What??"

"No, nothing." I brushed it off and went deeper inside my blanket.

"I leave for work at 8." He informed but I didn't know what was I supposed to say next.

Then suddenly it hit me. I worked too, at a restaurant as a manager and I needed to be at work tomorrow, I was already on paid-leave. "I work at a restaurant as their manager." I started.

"Oh, I didn't know that." He sounded amused.

"I'm sorry I forgot to mention." I reasoned.

"So do you intend on continuing?" He asked.

"I do unless you don't have a problem with that." I spoke hesitantly.

"Fine then, I'll drop you and see where you work as well." He suggested, more off informed.

"OK then, thank you." I said.

"Good night." He said in an assertive tone.

"Good night," I muttered back.

This was one of the most awkward conversations I have ever had in my 23 years of life. In a room with a husband who's no less than a stranger to me. With his back facing towards me, the lights of the room closed. Could it be more weird? And soon he started to snore, thank goodness he wasn't loud but at least it was as if I could never pretend that I wasn't sharing a room with a guy. I didn't know when I also drifted off to sleep.

My eyes burst open when I spotted Sohail leaning over me, I almost stopped breathing until he immediately pulled away from me, stumbled but saved himself from falling.

My heart palpated faster. "I was shutting your alarms for you." He muttered in confusion. He was as flabbergasted as I was.

I straightened up and took a deep breath. "I'm sorry, I just didn't expect you or anyone-" I reasoned. He nodded and stepped back, the awkwardness between the two of us was suffocating.

"I'll use the shower." He informed and took bigger steps than usual, he wanted to run away too. We had mutual feeling for the very moment.

"Okay," I muttered to myself.

I heaved a sigh and smiled at what just happened. After scrolling through my phone for another ten minutes, Sohail finally came out of the bathroom in a plain white dress shirt and water droplets dropping on it, enhancing it's transparency. The shirt was well fitted and accentuated his muscles pretty much perfectly. If it hadn't been Adam, I might have fallen for this guy. Sohail had nice and charming looks, I didn't know my husband would be this gorgeous. The only sad thing was that I didn't love him a bit.

"Stop staring, we are already running slow on time." He said and harshly brushed his hair right beneath the fan so they would dry off too. I bit my lip and without reporting back at him, rushed to the bathroom.

I came out in fifteen minutes, in a light pink shirt, red and white flowers on its bottom, with beige trouser that hung lose to my legs. By the time I walked out, the room was empty. I dried my hairs with the dryer I had brought from home and did a little make up. After slipping into my beige sandals I hurried out of the room and spotted Sohail on the sofa sipping from his cup of tea. I hurried down, grabbed my cup of tea, toasted myself and Sohail a bread. After our little breakfast we hurried to the car, just as I hopped inside he accelerated.

I told him the restaurant's name and he dropped me. We said our good byes before he drove away. He really was in a hurry. Heaving a sigh, I climbed the stairs and opened the door only to see Adam on one of the chairs, waiting for me.