Chapter 34: The Phone Calls 📞

"We will come and access everything and place a few necessities in the store room for tomorrow," the co-worker informed and with a brief nod he walked out leaving me wondering how will I be able to manage everything.

"Ma'am, May I come into the room?" I raised my eyes up at the helper and nodded, he stepped inside. "I need a day off tomorrow." He requested. I was to tired and it was getting in my nerves now, there was already a lot to handle and now people like them come up to and quit at the last moments especially when you're distressed.

"We have a birthday party event tonight and the wedding is tomorrow." I informed.

"I know Ma'am." He said.

I rolled my eyes away and heaved a frustrated sigh. "Then act like you know and leave without asking for a day off." I huffed. He didn't seem happy but left anyways.

I turned the pages of my file and called the birthday decorators and made sure they came on time. After that, I gathered all my staff and arranged a small meeting where we discussed tonight's arrangement.

By the time I walked back into my office after waving the costumers good bye, my eyes landed on my mother in law who was put a seat in my office. I further pushed the door open after seeing her from behind and greeted. "Asalamualaikum, Mummy. I'm surprised to see you." I walked over and embraced her. "It's good to see you."

Her grip on my arms tightened as she pulled me closer and hugged me longer than she usually did. I could hear her heart palpating faster than it did, by the time I pulled away my eyes caught the tears brewing in her eyes. "Oh my dear," she hugged again and this time I could feel her whole body shaking as she cried and weeped.

"Mummy, is everything alright? Is Sohail okay?" I asked, fear rushing through my nerves. I pulled away but held her by shoulders. "What happened, tell me?" I asked.

She shook her head. "You tell me what is it between you two." She raised her eyes up. I gulped in the fact that I need to tell her, if not everything then atleast something. I wasn't lying anymore.

"Mummy, Sohail and I-"

"-Sohail is upset from the very first day you left. He didn't go to work and he rarely skips work. Your Dad and I suspected something was wrong he never skipped work unless he had fever. Sohail didn't go to work for three days and now he isn't coming back home." She sniffed.

I patted her arm and sighed. "All the work he skipped must be pending." I answered. She threw my a _don't tell me that_ look and rolled her eyes away.

"Your Dad and I are ready to sort things between you but atleast let us be a part of it. Let us know what it is." She insisted and placed her shaking hands on the top of mine.

"I have lied to Sohail and he's upset. I know I'm the one at fault but he isn't ready to forgive me. He dropped me at my parent's place and ever since that we have only talked for once on phone." I said.

"I thought it's about Rania she had been calling Sohail from the past few days." She told me.

"The Wench! Why can't she let go of him!" I huffed frustratedly. My mind went blank not knowing what to think. What if Sohail is with her if he's not home?

"Off course she sees it as her chance to re-enter into his life." Mummy added fuel to the fire burning inside me.

"And Sohail let's her. I'm going to kill him." I said determinedly.

"You do know I'm his mother, right?" Mummy chuckled. I laughed with tears rolling down my eyes as mummy wiped them on my behalf.

"I love him now, more than ever." I said after a long deafening silence. Mummy smiled and pulled me in a hug again, tighter this time.