| xxii: comfort amidst the chaos |

"Sometimes, the best way to help someone is just to be near them

"Sometimes, the best way to help someone is just to be near them."
― Veronica Roth, Divergent

" ― Veronica Roth, Divergent

Jaipur, India

Akanksha and Vihaan along with their team were at the Prakash residence to return the mortal remains of late Vibha Prakash to her mother. Neeta Prakash, a frail woman in her late forties, was trying to maintain her strength after looking at the state her daughter was brought. The distraught in her eyes didn't go unnoticed by Akanksha, as she saw how the former had controlled herself in front of her son, who looked not more than ten years old.

The grief was evident on her face. Yet she didn't wail or cry. Yes, a lone tear did drop out of her eye but that was it. She didn't cry but it looked like her insides were screaming. Screaming in pain. Losing your husband and your child in a little span of time was a pain no one but only she could feel.

There was hope before. Just a tiny flicker but it blew away with the wind when the body of her girl came in.

She didn't shed a tear. She had to stay strong for her other child. She had to raise him without a father's shadow and an elder sister's love. She had to do it all, be brave in this situation where her life was falling apart.

"How many days it has been since she-?" she couldn't complete her words as a lump formed in her throat. Akanksha placed her hand over her shoulder and tried to pacify her.

"We assume that she was kept hostage for almost two and a half months. But she died approximately three weeks ago." Vihaan informed.

Neeta inhaled a sharp breath, clutching the armrest of the sofa tighter than before.

"Mrs Prakash," Akanksha called her out softly, meeting Vihaan's gaze briefly who gave her a slight nod, "we understand your grief and we can't even imagine the pain you must be going through. But right now, we need your help to get your daughter and husband justice. Is there anything you wish to tell us that you haven't told anybody? It is really important for us to know."

They saw her growing tense. It felt like she was hiding something, but was scared enough to tell them about it. Her forehead was sweating and slowly rocked herself slightly back and forth, her fingers fidgeting with her fingers shakily.