| xlvii: trishna rawat - a deadly mystery |

"Deaths are a mystery and my preys are a beauty

"Deaths are a mystery and my preys are a beauty." — The Serial Killer, His Inconvenient Bride

" — The Serial Killer, His Inconvenient Bride

16 Hours Earlier

Jaipur, India

After a long night with my friends, I woke up. The sun had been high up in the sky, its rays coming straight from the balcony to my room. Rubbing my bleary eyes I sat up, yawning in the process. Like every day, my eyes went up to the couch where Akanksha slept which was now empty since she was in Mumbai.

There was a feeling of a hollowness within me as I watched her empty side. Ironically, I had spent all these years without her but this was the first time when I felt alone without her. For the past few months, I had been so used to watching her hurry around the room to get ready as if she was getting late even when she was on time. Now not having her felt weird.

And it was just day one.

Sighing, I pushed myself off the bed and strode towards my closet to get my clothes for the day. Rushing inside the washroom, I quickly brushed my teeth. As I washed my face, my eyes went over to a familiar fluffy rubberband hung over the tap.

As I took that fluffy and very silky rubber band, I remembered Akanksha telling me it had some different name.

Scrushie, was it? Girls use weird named stuff.

And with that, I started missing my wife again. We had just confessed the night before yesterday and by yesterday afternoon, she was gone. Sometimes I wished for a normal life where there weren't any complications, just her and I, spending quality time with each other, stealing gazes, exchanging kisses—

Well, we haven't even passed first base.

I don't know if she expects that from me or if she wants to be on first base for a while. Whatever it will be, we will figure it out together.

After a long shower, I got dressed. My eyes went up to the wall clock. It was half-past eight already. I had to be at the Bureau by nine-thirty.

Buttoning up my shirt's sleeves, I rushed down the stairs and headed straight to the dining hall. The breakfast was already set and everyone was present, well except for Akanksha of course.