| prologue: unknown wave |

"I have always believed, and I still believe, that whatever good or bad fortune may come our way we can always give it meaning and transform it into something of value

"I have always believed, and I still believe, that whatever good or bad fortune may come our way we can always give it meaning and transform it into something of value." ― Hermann Hesse, Siddhartha

" ― Hermann Hesse, Siddhartha

Mumbai, India

A week before the wedding:

Akanksha stared at the result page in anticipation.

'You will receive your results shortly,' it said.

The dots moving in circles for the past seven minutes and twenty-eight seconds made her feel thirsty. She was losing hope.

Right when she was about to give up, right when she was about to let go of the dwindling ray of hope that flickered dangerously inside her, the buffering dots were soon replaced with her results.

She had passed her exam.

It was like the heavens had given Akanksha another chance to live her life right, and her heart soared, mending itself once more. She was saved! Waves of happiness and relief washed over her, and she felt it soak right into her bones. Dizzy with exaltation, she closed her eyes and savoured the felicity that fizzled in her heart.

"Thank God! I made it. Yipee!" she squealed.

She immediately picked up her phone and dialled her sister.

"Di! Guess what?" She was jumping up and down, unable to control her excitement.

"What?" Anika was amused by her sister's attitude. It had been days since she had heard her sister being so happy and cheerful.

"I cleared my entrance! I can finally get admission to Delhi Science College," she exclaimed.

"Wait, really? That's so awesome. Congratulations, sweetie! I am so proud of you." Anika beamed. "I wish I could be there for you," her tone dipped as she felt sad for not being there with her sister.

A moment of silence occurred between them. Akanksha felt upset for not seeing her sister in a long while. College made it difficult for Anika to visit her, there were times when they would go for days without talking to each other over the phone.