| xlvi: long distance calls |

"Absence makes the heart grow fonder

"Absence makes the heart grow fonder." — William Shakespeare

" — William Shakespeare

Mumbai, India

Please, take care?

Who could have messaged me with such words?

It had to be someone whose name was not on my contact list. Someone who wanted to stay under wraps and not come out in front of us. A friend or a foe?

"Akanksha!" Asha Aunty called me out, "Come and have a seat," I momentarily looked at her and absentmindedly gave her a brief nod. Shooting a quick message to Ahad along with the phone number, I joined them on the couch.

Another notification went off and I pulled my phone out to check it. It was Ahad, who had sent a thumbs up as a reply to my previous message.

"Shay, is there any problem?" Pranav who was sitting beside me asked, his eyes boring into mine in worry. I put up a small smile and shook my head. I did not want to worry anyone with this message before telling anyone and worrying them with it.

It could just be a random message.

Or not.

"How's your head dear?" It was Asha Aunty who asked, softly running her hand over my head.

"It's okay Aunty, I am fine. Though I still feel dizzy at times, medicine helps. In fact, tomorrow I am going to the hospital to get my dressing done," I informed them. In the stress of whatever was happening, I had completely forgotten about my injured head. The only time I remember it was when my head mildly throbbed in pain, reminding me to take my medicines.

"It was all over the news," Mahesh uncle said, "We, unfortunately, couldn't go due to a family wedding but we saw the news. The news channels said that you were purposely attacked since you are working on the case of the minister who died months back." The word goes around really fast. I still didn't understand why it was necessary to let the reporters know about what was happening over the case, even the smallest tidbits so that they would make a headline out of it and let the world know and even the killers.