| ix: the revelation |

"Remember that the happiest people are not those getting more, but those giving more

"Remember that the happiest people are not those getting more, but those giving more." H. Jackson Brown, Jr.

 Jackson Brown, Jr

Jaipur, India

I woke up suddenly, every thought in high definition. My eyes took in the darkness of my room, and without a doubt, I knew that it was time for me to wake up. I checked the clock in my room, which said that it was six in the morning. I could hear a few vehicles going by, indicating that the day had already started.

There was a sound of breathing that wasn't mine. My eyes drifted over to the woman sleeping almost opposite to me on her newly bought pull-out couch. She was snoring lightly; her mouth was slightly open with a little drool on the corner of her lips. I frowned at her sleeping soundly in my room.

Life had never been simple for me even then and now. She doesn't know how much I envy her when I see her happy. We had a marriage of inconvenience; did she forget that?

I felt empty. The past experiences had left me with no emotions. It was like a void. A dark void. A never-ending dark void that consumes everything, so you are left feeling nothing.

Empty. Nothing to subside your hollow soul that crept in the shadows, away from any others. Was I judging her a bit too harshly? But then, she reminded me of our marriage and how she forcefully married me.

I quickly got up from my bed to freshen up and head towards the park near our home for an early jog. The sky was still dark, the light blue colour slowly taking over the darkness of the sky. When I hit the sidewalk, I decided it was time to jog.

I seldom ran. I really needed to do something to clear my thoughts. As my shoes kissed the ground, the warmth of exercise rushed through me. The iron railings of the entrance of the park, all visible in the streetlights which were still on, were soon behind me as I jogged my way through it.

Around quarter past seven, I returned home, only to be welcomed by a half-asleep Swati on the couch of the living room, who was barely hanging on it with a book in her hand. It looked like she had sleep-walked again. I picked her up, brought her to her room, and placed her on the bed.