| xxxvii: the truth under the lie |

"The past beats inside me like a second heart

"The past beats inside me like a second heart." ― John Banville

" ― John Banville

Jaipur, India

It had been a long time since we had cried together. Probably it was eight years ago and the reason was pretty much the same as today— Ruhi.

The moment felt like a déjà vu; everything felt just the same. We were in the hospital with me as the patient and them around me, holding onto each other crying our hearts out.

That day our tears were out of helplessness.

Today our tears were out of guilt.

We didn't try hard.

We should have done something that day, something that would have not made us regret today.

If one thing the four of us were proud of was our friendship. It was the only thing we loved to boast about. We have had our ups and downs, good and bad but we were always together, no matter whatever the situation was.

We were terribly ashamed.

Pranav's cries were the loudest as he sobbed hard and my heart clenched at the sight. The pain of loss of love was something that only a few could feel. The unfortunate ones. I get the feeling now since I am in love with Vihaan. I couldn't imagine losing him.

Ruhi was indeed raped.

Bile had raised up to my throat when I had read the report attached below the list aloud and gasps had followed right after. Pranav cried in agony and the pain that had taken over his face was unbearable.

She died because the fire had taken over vitals. She was half burnt; the forensic expert then had checked over her body and deduced forceful penetration and nail marks in her inner thigh. Her internal organs were burnt and she was dead on arrival.

We weren't informed about it.

We weren't told exactly what had happened to her.

The tension was so much that it made my head hurt making me realise that I had a concussion and I was still in the hospital.