S E V E N T E E N

✨Tough cookies never crumble✨

Tough cookies never crumble

"Oh! Are those cookies I smell?!" Jade rushes out of her room as I take the cookies out of the oven and put tray on the rack.

I got up early in the morning just to bake these fresh cookies for Nicklaus.

She stood opposite of me, her mouth drooling as if the cookies hypnotized her "Who's our new neighbor that you're making cookies for, huh?" I take off the oven mitts and answer "Nicklaus." Her lips curls up "Why him?"

"Because I make cookies for every new neighbor and I think he deserves it too. And also, when I start treating him like just our neighbor he won't have any power over me. Make sense?"

"Kinda, yes. I actually like that. You should really do that. He's just a normal guy living above us. That's it."

"You're right. He's just a normal guy and he's our neighbor. That's it. That is all he is."

"That's my girl." She reached out her hand to grab one of the cookie, but I slap on the back of her hand "They're not yours!"

"But I want one! Just one! Please."

"I'll make you another batch when I come back home."

"But I don't want the other batch. I want one now for breakfast with milk. Please?"

"Jade, no."

She scowls and then actually counts the cookies "There are ten pieces. You can spare one. Please. Please. Please. Please. I need my energy for my crappy job." As soon as she pouts I give in. Grabbing a plate from the cabinet, I put one for her and she takes no time devouring it with a moan. With her mouthful, she asks "Can I have another?" I raise my brow "Another single cookie or a whole batch to yourself when you come back from your crappy job?" She blinks "Is it it okay to have both?" I hiss "Jade!"

"Fine, fine. I'll take the whole batch."

X

I set the cookies in this gorgeous white plate with cherry blossoms painted on it and actually set them as a tower. The perfect round cookie being on the top, obviously.
Jade was the first one to leave for work.
I got ready, grabbed my backpack and the cookie plate.

Heading my way out, I locked the door behind me and climbed the stairs towards Nick's loft.
As I stood in front of the rusted red door, I felt nervous. I didn't know if actually giving him the cookies was a bright idea anymore. Maybe I should just take this to work?

No, Lana. You made the cookies for him and that's why he should get it, okay? You can do it. Just knock on the door, give him the cookies and leave. That's it. You can do that. It's easy.
It's easy, right?

Taking a deep breath, I rang the door bell and waited. I wore a cute black midi skirt with white polka dots, a long sleeve black shirt and white converse. Casual yet professional. As I fixed the crease on my skirt, the door opened and there he stood. In a blue t-shirt and dark jeans. Wet paint brushes in his pockets and paint smeared all over his hands. A smile spread across his lips "Curvy, not avoiding me today?" I held up the plate of cookies "I got you cookies to officially welcome you in the building. And as our new neighbor." He smiles and shakes his head but before he could take it from me, he looks down at his hands and asks "Can you keep that in for me? I don't want to ruin your plate." I gulp and nod. He moves out of the way and I walk in.