T H I R T Y E I G H T

✨Pretty dresses will not hide my secrets or insecurities✨

Pretty dresses will not hide my secrets or insecurities

I sat in the car with Zara.

Thank god I was away from Jade for the moment. That girl was fuming all hour.
I looked at Zara as she starts the car "This is wrong, right?" She nods boldly "Yes, my love." She drives out and says while her eyes are on the road "You know I'm jealous actually." I scoff "You? My hijabi goddess, you're jealous?" She rolls her eyes every time I call her that "I'm jealous because you have two men lusting over you. And not just lusting- they have feelings for you. Only if Dean was like that before that Zabala left me right after our wedding night." I raise my brow and she looks at me to casually translate "Zabala is trash in Arabic."

"You didn't deserve him, Zara. He was- is trash."

He was six years older than her when she graduated high school. She fell in love with him and then got blessings from her parents to tie the knot. In exactly 24 hours, he left her. He left her after he banged her up. Zara told me all this herself once when we were having deep conversations in the office.

She said "I'm thankful for one thing though, Alana. Right after he left me, he gave me the motivation to go to college. And now I'm working in one of the most popular fabric industries in America. And I'm the fabric director. And I- a hijabi- hold the power in a room full of old racist men in boring ties. I see this as a happy ending. I'm powerful enough to support my parents and pay for my little brother's tuition without even letting him take a penny from the bank." I smiled at her, suddenly having the urge to hug her tight enough to squeeze her eyeballs out.

X

We part our ways on the floor. Zara going to her office while I walk to my own. As soon as I step in, he walks in and locks the door. I turn around "Harvey?" He points to the chair "Sit." I obey with a questioning look and watch as he gets on his knees and rolls the chair closer. His ocean eyes search for something in me. I put my hand on his cheek and ask "What's wrong?" He exhales a breath he's been holding on to forever and drops his head on my stomach, wrapping his arms around me and pulling me even closer. I run my hands up and down his back, trying to soothe him "Look at me, Harvey." And when he does, he looks scared "I don't have anyone else to talk to about this, Lana. Only you." I hold his face between my hands and wait for him to continue "Am I coming on too fast? Am I scaring you?"

"What are you trying to say?"

"We haven't been dating for a month and I already confessed it to you, Alana. I'm not looking for you to say it back and I'm not regretting telling you. I'm afraid that I'm scaring you that it makes you wanna pull away from me."

This man is one of the softest people I've ever come across. He's not insecure and I envy his boldness to put his feeling in front of me without care of getting hurt. He trusts me too much and what do I do? I go behind his back and give up my virginity to his step-brother.