Chapter 13

Liz loved only a few things in life, and her sister Jane was the dearest of them all, so to hear her crying broke Liz's heart into a thousand pieces.

"What do you mean you guys broke up?" Liz asked as she handed Jane a tissue.

"They moved to Washington DC over the weekend."

"And he couldn't even tell you that in person? What kind of jerk breaks up with a girl via a text message?"

Jane blew her nose, "He didn't break up with me. We weren't dating."

"You weren't?"

"Well, he hadn't asked me to be his girlfriend or anything."

"But he told you he liked you, right?"

"Yes, when he was asking me out to the dance, but that was it."

"Did you guys ever kiss?"

Jane blushed, "A little."

"Sounds to me like real dating. Am so sorry Jane."

Jane smiled through the tears, "Don't be. I always knew he was too good for me anyway. What could a small town girl like me ever be to him than just a short term fling? Especially when he has more educated and cultured girls at his disposal, like that Georgiana Darcy that Carol is always going on about."

Liz snorted, "Georgiana Darcy is fourteen."

"Yes. But he likes her, she is rich, she travels all over the world and she is going to be with them in DC over Christmas."

"Did he tell you he likes her?"

"No. Carol did. But I believe her, she had no reason to lie, she likes me and wants us to continue being friends."

"Okay."

"Why did you say okay like that?"

"Like what?"

"Like you are humoring me?"

Liz adjusted herself a little on the bed, "I don't know Jane. I just don't believe Carol Bingley. Anyone who has seen you with Charlie knows he was head over heels in love with you. His decision to break up and move away without a proper goodbye seems a little out of character for him. Has he given up his lease on the beach house too? I heard he was leasing it for a year."

"He hasn't but Carol thinks he will."

"And you seem to think a lot of this Carol."

"Why shouldn't I? She has been nothing but kind to me."

Liz gently patted Jane's back and left her to her misery. She knew Charlie.wouldn't have left Spring Valley so suddenly unless he was persuaded by his friend Bill. She had lived in a house with them for a week, she had noticed how Bill was the silent but ultimate decision maker over their lives. Charlie didn't do anything serious without his full support or approval. Since he had seemed to dislike Jane from the beginning, Liz could bet her left arm that he was behind the move.

Apart from her sadness for Jane over the heartbreak, Liz was glad they had moved away.  There presence had done nothing but disrupt the serene life of Spring Valley. It also meant George could hang out with her anywhere now without the fear of a confrontation with Bill.

George apologized profusely over standing her up for the dance the following Monday. Liz would have forgiven him even if he had not apologized.

Between her schoolwork, hanging out with George and comforting Jane, the week passed by in a blur and before she knew it, it was Friday. Jimmy was to leave for LA the following day, and her dad called her in the store's main office to go through the books and see what could be afforded to be done for him.

Liz looked at the account books and added up figures. The store was doing well enough to put food on their table and pay the mortgage, with a few adjustments on their expenses, her dad could comfortably pay Jane's tuition fee at the state college in town. MIT though? No chance.

"Since his employer is giving him accomodations, we should probably offer to pay for his plane ticket," Liz suggested.

His father rubbed his temples with a frown, "I still prefer the buying him a cake option."

"Dad!"

"What? A cake is a good gift."

"He has worked for you for two years."

"And I have paid him for it."

"Yes but you need to show your appreciation a little bit more."

"I have listened to his charming music. How many more sacrifices do you expect me to make?"

Liz huffed, "Fine. Let's just compromise and buy him a guitar, it will be something to remember us by," Liz said while scrawling the word 'guitar' in a large font in the expenses column.

Her dad nodded, "Fine by me."

Liz had to admit that she was going to miss Jimmy, kind of. It was true that he was annoying, he talked too much and his singing sucked, but he was also kind of funny although he didn't know it. Even her dad shed a few tears while Jimmy gave his farewell speech to all the store's employees.

Charlotte cried the most when saying goodbye, and Jimmy invited the two of them to LA for Christmas. Liz promised to try and go, but she knew she wouldn't. The exchange students were leaving Spring Valley at the end of December, and Liz wanted to spent as much time as possible getting to know George.

For the next two weeks or so, Liz continued to learn more about him, and the more she learned, the more she liked him. It wasn't hard to see why he was more popular than Bill even though Bill had just been as handsome. He had an openness to him that drew in everyone. Even her dad liked it when he hang out at the store with them. And the fact that he was focusing on creating a strong friendship with Liz before attempting anything romantic only served to make him more attractive.

Liz didn't have any negative thing to say about him until Thanksgiving evening when her aunt invited the exchange students to dinner, plus a few girls from exclusive private  school from the neighbouring town.

Liz noticed him paying too much attention to a certain redhead in particular. He hadn't talked to Liz the whole evening, so naturally, Liz inquired from her schoolmates on who she was.

"Oh. That's Bess King, her dad plays basketball."

Liz eyes widened as she took a second look at the said girl, "You mean to tell me that she is the daughter of Gavin King? The basketball legend?"

"Yep."

Liz had half a mind to go and introduce herself to the girl. She couldn't even blame George for ignoring her in favor of Bess King. The girl's father's name could open doors, and in their situation in life, you definitely needed a name like that.