Chapter 29

"You are what?!" Jane exclaimed that night as Liz was telling her the news in Jane's room. Jane was the only Bennet sibling who got a room to herself. Liz shared with Lydia and Mary with Kate. Liz often wondered why her parents had decided that she should share a room with Lydia, they drove each other crazy.

"Don't look at me like that," Liz pleaded.

"But I had no idea you liked him. When did you even start liking him?"

"I don't know, but I think it was the convoy of private jets at his Pemberly Enterprises headquarters that won me over."

"Liz!"

"What? I am an aspiring mechanic, and you know I have a thing for engines."

"Engines?" Jane teased with a smile.

Liz hit her with a pillow, "Get your mind out of the gutter Jane."

"But Liz, be serious, when did you start liking him?"

"I can't exactly pinpoint the exact moment, I thought he was very attractive when I first met him, then it just grew gradually. I might even love him Jane, when I am with him, I just feel..."

"Whole?"

"Yeah. Empowered, loved, admired, the best version of me."

"Well, I am happy for you. That's how love feels like Liz. It's the reason I forgave Charlie and allowed him back in my life."

Liz nodded and stood up to go look at Jane's closet, "Now, would you please help me look for something stunning to wear to prom?"

"Okay," Jane said coming to stand right next to her,"I think you should go with white, white suits you."

Thursday and Friday went by very fast for Liz, due to the excitement of the prom around the school. Even though they could not acknowledge that they were together in public, Liz was thrilled by the way that he would find a way to tell her things: eye contact, thumbs up, an occasional brush of the hand, the gestures were endless.

Another endless thing was now Georgina's texts. Liz actually enjoyed talking to Georgina who apparently wanted them to get married immediately so she could finally move to a US high school and who was definitely coming to Spring Valley for the summer.

They had decided to go separately to the prom. Liz was to go with Jane and Charlie and he was to go alone, to protect her from the media. Liz didn't care about it, but protecting her seemed so important to him that she let him have his way.

Liz wanted to look great for him for that night, that's why Saturday afternoon found her begging Lydia who wouldn't get off her phone.

"Lydia, you really need to get started on my makeup," Liz said.

Lydia continued typing on her phone, "Relax, we still have time."

"If you don't start now, you won't get time to do your own. And I still don't understand how you got a senior to ask you to the prom."

"I am amazing like that."

"Is he the one you have been texting so much of late? What was his name again? Ratty?"

"Rahim, seriously Liz, mispronouncing someone's name is considered racist."

"Sorry, Rahim. Is he the one you are texting?"

"No. Rahim and I are just great friends. He didn't have anyone to go with and I really wanted to go so I just decided to use him. He is more of Mary's type if you know what I mean."

"A geek?"

"He works magic with computers,"  Lydia stood up and stretched, placing her phone on the bedside table. She gave Liz a scrutinizing look, "Turn around," Lydia commanded.