Chapter 12

The water zoomed down the river, carrying Branch with it, Poppy being dragged behind, her hair still wrapped around the grey troll's waist, trying to free him from the water's grasp.

     "Branch!" she yelled, coughing up water, as she struggled to stay on the surface of the raging river.

     He looked at her, his eyes wide in fear, still holding his breath under the water.

"Poppy! Help!" he tried to call out to her, but his voice was muffled and un-understandable, with the water covering his mouth. "Poppy!"

"Don't worry, Branch!" she yelled to him. "I'll save you!"

     She tried to pull him free, but the water held on tight, not losing it's grip on the helpless grey troll.

Poppy gasped in horror, as she noticed Branch's eyes begin to slowly blink shut, as he ran out of air, finding it harder and harder to stay awake.

"Branch!" she cried out in fear, seeing him stop his struggle to escape the water snake, too weak to fight any longer. "No! Stop! Let him go! You're killing him!"

The water looked at her for a moment, and then at Branch who was slowly loosing consciousness. It made a soft noise of fear, picking up the pace, trying to hurry to it's destination.

Poppy looked at Branch, tears in her eyes, as she saw him struggling to stay awake, his eyes blinking shut for a few moments before slowly reopening.

"Let him go!" she cried, her voice shaking in fear, as she continued pulling on Branch, trying to yank him from the water's grasp. "Please! Let him go!"

     Finally the water reached the land, leaping up out of the river, and disappearing as it collided with the ground, releasing Poppy and Branch safely on the shore.

     The grey troll coughed, gasping for air, as he lay on the grass, his eyes shut, as he struggled to breath.

"Branch!" Poppy shouted, quickly jumping to her feet, and running over to him. "Branch... Branch, please! Look at me!" she cried, shaking him gently.

     Finally, his eyes fluttered open, as he turned his head slightly to look up at Poppy who was panting heavily in fear, leaning over him, as she cried softly.

     "P... Poppy..." he muttered softly, slowly sitting up. "Are... are you ok?"

Poppy smiled, her tears of fear turning to tears of joy, as she quickly jumped into him, hugging him tight.

     "I'm fine," she cried, burying her face into his shoulder. "I'm fine, Branch... but... what about you? Are you ok?"

     He nodded, looking at the princess with wide eyes, somewhat confused on why she was hugging him. No one had given him a hug since his Grandma had passed... but... but he kinda liked it...

Slowly, a small smile came to his face, as he leaned into the hug, wrapping his arms around Poppy comfortingly.

"I'm fine..." he assured, hugging her tight. "I'm ok..."

Poppy looked at him, tears still sparkling in her eyes, as a small smile came to her face, just happy Branch was safe now.

The two trolls gazed into each other's eyes, until Branch blushed slightly, snapping out of his trance, as he pulled away from the princess, quickly jumping to his feet, completely and utterly embarrassed.

     What was he doing!? He couldn't fall in love with her! No... he couldn't get too close... not again... it was out of the question!

"I... I... uh..." he stuttered not knowing what to say, as he rubbed the back of his head nervously. "I... should be getting home..." he finally said, starting to walk away.