Chapter 44

Branch stood in front of Poppy and Barb, protecting them both as the other trolls approached, spears out.

"Stay away from them!" Branch yelled fiercely, standing his ground.
"So... you think you're tough..." Brock said with a slight chuckle. "Bet you're not tougher than this..."

He raised his spear, ready to thrust it down into Branch's chest.

Branch flinched, his eyes widening slightly, as he stared at the pointy end of the spear quickly coming towards him, but he didn't move from in front of the two queens. He was going to protect them no matter what...

The water watched in terror, seeing the weapon going straight towards the blue troll. It wasn't about to let those trolls hurt him. He was it's friend...

Quickly, it transformed into a lion, and jumped out in front of the three trolls, growling defensively, ready to defend Branch and his friends.

"Back down!" Chief Tula commanded, knowing the water could easily harm them. "Lower your weapons!"

The trolls stopped approaching the three friends, slowly lowering their spears.

Slowly, Chief Tula began to approach the water lion, holding her hand out to it.

"You shouldn't be here, Aqua..." she said calmly. "You should be in the river, with what little water we have left."

It growled, showing it's sharp teeth, warning her to back off. It was going to protect Branch... it was going to protect Branch's friends... no one was going to hurt them...

"You will evaporate if you don't get back in the river," Tula informed softly, continuing to approach slowly. The water growled again, backing up closer to Branch protectively.

     "Come on, Aqua... you know me," Tula said. "I won't hurt you..."

     The water calmed down a bit, but didn't move from in front of Branch. It was still going to protect him. No matter what...

     "The afternoon sun will be rising soon," Chief Tula said, looking up at the sky for a moment, before turning her gaze back to the water lion. "You need to get back in the river. Before it's too late."

     She reached her hand out to touch the water, but it pulled away, showing it's teeth again, as it growled fiercely.

     Branch looked at Tula, and then the water. It was protecting him... it was protecting Poppy... (and to a lesser extent Barb...) but if what Tula was saying was true... it would die if it didn't leave... He had to protect Poppy, and he was going to do it. He was going to protect Poppy and the water...

     He took a deep breath, slowly stepping forewords.

     "Branch..." Poppy said quietly, grabbing his arm to hold him back. "What are you doing?"

He looked at her, giving her a sad smile.

"I love you, Poppy..." he whispered to her, pulling away from her grasp.

She watched him wide eyed, as he walked up in front of the water lion, stopping to look at Tula.

     "I will go with you..." he said softly.
"What!? Branch, no!" Poppy yelled, trying to run over to him, but Barb quickly grabbed onto her, holding her back.

     "On one condition..." he added, looking at the Chief firmly.

     Tula looked at him, intrigued by his offer.

     "Go on," she said, crossing her arms, as she smirked at him.

     "I will go with you..." he said again. "But you have to leave my friends alone."
"Branch! No! Don't do this!" Poppy cried out, trying to break free from Barb's grasp, but she held her tight, knowing that Branch wouldn't want her going after him.

Branch didn't react to Poppy's screams, he just kept glaring at Tula, knowing he was doing what was best for his friends...

     "You said it yourself..." he said to Tula. "They are of no use to you... it's me you want, right?"
"Yes..." Tula said slowly, looking at Branch suspiciously.
"So take me. Take me... and let them go home," he said. "And stop sending your monsters to attack them."

     She looked at him, confused by the last part of his condition.

     "Monsters?" she questioned.
"Yeah... earth, wind, and fire," Branch said. "That's the only reason we came here. They attacked our village."

     Chief Tula seemed confused for a moment, but then finally smirked at Branch, seeing her opportunity.

     "Ok... it's a deal," she said, holding her hand out for Branch to shake.

     "Branch!" Poppy yelled out, still trying to pull away from Barb. "No! Don't do it, Branch! Don't do it!"

     He turned to her sadly, as he sighed, his ears drooping a bit.

     "Please... don't do this..." she pleaded, gazing into his crystal blue eyes, as she cried. "I'm sorry, Poppy..." he said softly. "I have to... I have to protect you..."

     Slowly, he turned back to Tula, reaching out to shake her hand.

"No, Branch! No!" Poppy cried, trying desperately to get to him. "BRANCH!"

     Suddenly, just as he was about to shake Tula's hand, confirming the deal they had just made, the sun began beaming down, the rays of light hitting the water painfully.

     The water lion coiled away in pain, Branch suddenly falling to the ground, as he clutched his stomach.

     "Ugh..." he groaned in pain, shutting his eyes tight.

     "Branch!" Poppy and Barb both yelled simultaneously, both of them quickly running over to him.

     "Get Aqua to the river! Hurry!" Chef Tula demanded, the other trolls quickly running over to the water, and gently escorting it towards the river.

     It looked at Branch, as it was lead away, not wanting to leave his side, but it knew it needed to get back to the river before it was too late...