Chapter 51

Chief Tula finished up whatever it was she needed to do, and then began heading back to her tent. It was still very early, but soon, everyone in the village would be waking up to start their day.

     She was about to walk inside to wake up the two sleeping trolls in her tent, when she suddenly stopped, noticing Branch was still outside sitting by the fire, as he gazed into the flames sadly.

"Hey... you ok?" she asked, walking over to sit next to him.

He sighed, lowering his head, as his ears drooped a bit, not saying a single word.

Tula looked at Branch for a moment longer, thinking she knew what was bothering him, before turning to gaze to the fire.

"You should probably see this," she said softly.

He looked up at the Chief, as she pointed to the fire.

     "Fuego," she said softly, troll shaped flames suddenly popping out of the fire.

Branch watched the flames, as Tula spoke calmly and clearly.

"Long ago, we struggled to survive," she narrated. "We couldn't control our hair, like all the other trolls could, leaving us completely defenseless..."

The fire moved to show the Enchanted Forest trolls being attacked by predators. With no way to defend themselves, a lot of them ended up being killed or eaten.

     "That is..." Tula continued softly. "Until only four were left."

     Four fire trolls stood alone sadly, as they mourned the deaths of their family and friends. (Yes... I am aware that this is depressing... I am so sorry...)

     "But they decided... they wouldn't just give up. They couldn't allow their tribe to die out completely, so they created the four spirits. Earth, wind, fire, and water."

     The flames in the fire moved to show the four spirits being made by the four Enchanted Forest trolls.

     "Each of the four trolls connected with one of the spirits," Tula continued. "If a spirit were to get injured... the troll would get injured. If the spirit died... the troll would die too..."

     All the fire spirit figures disappeard, followed by the four trolls.

     "The same goes for the spirits. If their troll got injured, or died... the same would happen to them."

     "Wait..." Branch said, sort of confused, as he looked over at Tula. "But this was like... thousands of years ago. How could these trolls still be alive?"
"They're not... but their ansestors are," Tula explained. "As soon as they are born, the baby troll connects with its spirit, taking it's parent's place."

     The flames popped back up, showing several generations of trolls being born, and connecting with their spirit.

     Eventually one, a water spirit troll, wondered away from the group.

     "That... that one is leaving..." Branch observed, pointing at the fire troll

     The water spirit troll wondered off into the forest, unaware she was being stalked by a Growl Beast.

     She skipped through the forest, suddenly beginning to hear singing.

     Hearing the voice, she stopped, suddenly scared. She had never heard singing before... what kind of creature could possibly be making this sound...

     She was about to turn around, and run back to the village, but stopped. Something about the voice was calling her forewords. Like... like it was telling her to follow it...