Chapter 29

Branch lay in his bed, tossing and turning, trying to fall asleep, as the noise kept him awake, refusing to shut up.

     "Aaaaaaaaa!"

     He rolled over, pressing his pillow against his ears, trying to block out the sound, but it was as if the voice was inside his head, getting louder and louder, every time it sounded.

     "Aaaaaaaa!"

     "Please..." Branch begged, rolling over onto his back, as he covered his face with his hands. "Please, just stop..."

     "Aaaaaaaaa!"

     He groaned, looking up at his dirt ceiling, the sound continuing over and over non-stop.

"Aaaaaaaaaaa! Aaaaaaaa! Aaaaaaaaa!"

     "I'm tired... please... please... just let me sleep," he pleaded, pulling the blankets over his head.

     His ear twitched, listening for the noise, but it never came.

Slowly, he pulled the blankets down, looking around his room. Silence...

     He smiled, sighing with relief, as he rested his head down onto his pillow, closing his eyes.

     "Thank you," he whispered, drifting peacefully off to sleep.

Not Even a Second Later
—————

     "Aaaaaaaa!" he suddenly heard again, waking him up instantly. This one was the loudest yet, only getting louder as it continued. "Aaaaaaaaa! Aaaaaaaa!"

     "Ughhhhh! That's it! I'm going out! I'm going out!" Branch shouted, jumping out of bed, as he stormed out of his bunker in anger. He knew that no matter where he went, the voice would just follow, but he was still hoping that by going for a quick walk around the village, it would finally just leave him alone.

     As he walked around Trollstopia, the sound continued, constantly getting louder, making his eardrums rattle.

     "Aaaaaaaaaaaa! Aaaaaaaaaa!"

     He covered his ears again, continuing to walk as he shut his eyes tight, trying to block out the sound. Needless to say... it didn't work...

     "Aaaaaaaaaa! Aaaaaaaaaaa!"

     Annoyed, the little blue troll uncovered his ears, glaring up at the sky.

     "I can hear you... but I won't," Branch sung, as he continued to walk, glaring up at the sky in annoyance. "Some look for trouble. While other's don't. There's a thousand reasons, I should go about my day. And ignore your whispers, which I wish would go away. Ohhhhh."
"Aaaaaaaaaa!"
"Ohhh."
"Aaaaaaaaaaa!"

—————

     Poppy slept peacefully in her bed, snuggled up nice and cozy with her number one most beloved snuggle toy, now and forever, Mr. Prickles, when she was suddenly awoken to a sound outside her pod. Someone was singing... but not just someone... she knew this voice. Only one troll had a voice as beautiful as this... the voice of an angel...

     "Branch?" she muttered softly, rubbing her eyes as she sat up.

     Slowly, she stood, walking to her window, still half asleep, as she looked out, seeing Branch stomping through the village, singing angrily, as he looked up at the sky. What was going on?

—————

     "You're not a voice!" Branch sang, stomping forewords, his hands in tight fists by his side. "You're just a ringing in my ear. And if I heard you... which I don't! I'm spoken for I fear. Everyone I've ever loved is here within this village." He thought of Poppy, smiling slightly, as he saw her face up in the stars. "I'm sorry secret siren, but I'm blocking out your calls. I've had my adventures I don't need something new. Im afraid of what I'm risking if I follow you..."

     He paused, looking around for a moment, and then began to run, trying to escape the call once and for all.

     "Into the unknown! Into the unknooown!" he sang. "Into the unknooooooooooooown!"
"Aaaaaaaaaaa!"

     Quickly, he stopped running, covering his ears tightly.

     "Aaaaaaaaaa!"

     "Enough!" he yelled out in pure rage, glaring up at the sky. "Im not doing this! Just leave me alone!"
"Branch?" a soft and confused voice suddenly said from behind him.

     He spun around quick, seeing Poppy standing behind him with a concerned look plastered on her face. He stood there glaring at her, breathing heavily in anger, but soon his anger turned to sadness, as he suddenly broke down into tears.

     "What is wrong with me?" he cried, dropping down to his knees, as he covered his face with his hands.

     Slowly, Poppy approached, kneeling down in front of him to give him a comforting hug.

     He wrapped his arms around her, hugging her back, as he cried into her shoulder.

     "It'll be ok, Branch," she said softly, rubbing the back of his head gently, as she tried to calm him down. "You'll be ok..."