Chapter 6: Hot Shot

When they arrived at Johnny's house. He parked, they got out, and just like that her nerves returned. Walking hand-in-hand, she stopped. Turning his head to look at her, Johnny asked "What's wrong?" 

She let out a huge breath. "Well, it's just your Mama. I mean she probably hates me. I dumped you and broke your heart. You're her baby boy, what she must think of me. Plus compared to Ali, I'm... well, I'm not her." 

Laura Weinberg is a force to be reckoned with, especially when it comes to her baby. She's the most polished, pristine, and all-around wonderful lady. She's still one of Ava's favorite people, even though she hasn't really spoken much to her, since the breakup. 

Johnny paused and debated on saying this or not. In the end, he decided to just say it. "She doesn't hate you. I told her I broke up with you. She thinks it was me and doesn't think badly of you." He saw her face looks shocked. 

Moving to stand in front of him, she grabbed hold of both of his arms. "But why Johnny? Why would you tell her that?"

How does he answer this? "Because even though it hurt, I didn't want to hurt you. My mom liked you a lot. She still does. And I guess I hoped, that if we ever got back together one day, I wanted her to think of you as the wonderful person you are."

Wow! That's... "I don't know what to say. That's the sweetest thing I've ever heard. Johnny you when I first met you I didn't realize how much you'd mean to me. But here we are. You're the best thing I never planned and I'm so thankful for that." She hugged him then. 

He may or may not have gotten misty-eyed, but he'll never tell a soul. "OK let's go in so I can change and beat you at your own game." 

Huffing, she stated "Fat chance. My drive is better than your whole set of golf clubs any day of the week. Hands down. I mean, I did win the lady's Teen's on the Green's tournament last year. Just saying." 

They entered his house and instantly his mother came out to greet him. Surprised to see Ava, but not shocked, she greeted her too. She also took note of their clasped hands. "Johnny you didn't tell me you were dating Ava again. Shame on you." She pulled his lady friend in for a hug. 

"Mom, meet Ava. My new, old girlfriend." He saw eyes raise at that choice of words. "Well, I'm going to go change. Mom is my golf clubs still in the garage?" He started up the stairs for his room, when he heard his mother answer yes. 

Once he had gone, Laura pulled Ava into the living room. They sat on the sofa. "I have to say I've missed you these past two years. I knew something was different about Johnny this week when he started smiling more. He only ever really smiled when he was dating you. I'm so glad the two of you found your way back to each other. Two people who love like you do deserve someone who loves the same, with their whole heart." 

Ava is floored. She had no idea her boyfriend's mother felt this way. It only serves to make her feel guilty, knowing she has no idea that she was the one who dumped her son. She was about to open her mouth when Johnny returned looking... well looking ridiculous. He wore a pair of baby blue and white plaid golf pants, with a white polo tucked in, and a blue belt around his waist. 

"I didn't know it was Halloween or I would have worn my costume too," she told him. She couldn't resist.

Rocking on his heels, "It's OK Shortcake, like one hundred proof you can't handle this. I'm going to go grab my clubs. You both have my permission to talk about my wonderful self while I'm away." He exited to get the clubs.