Chapter 12: I Promise

The hospital fundraiser was a huge success. They ended up raising over a million dollars. Plus her mother and father were correct, in their statement to her. There were multiple items Ava ended up wanting, at the silent auction. She desired tickets to the Russian Ballet's Nutcracker Suite in December, a pair of diamond hoop earrings, and a pair of 24K gold crystal hoop earrings. But then she craved chocolate for a year from Sweetie's, a Louis Vuitton large tote bag, and a 5K gift certificate to Nordstrom (her favorite store).

 She bid on three items (chocolate for a year, the gift certificate, and a surprise). Johnny bid on the Russian Ballet (against his wishes, but thought it would be a nice date for Ava) and also this cool Casio watch. Her parents bid on the tote bag and other pair of earrings, for her. She ended up winning all of the things. Although two of the items she had to put up a fight for. One was her surprise which was not shocking and the other was the chocolate. 

On the large display board, she kept seeing the bid for the chocolate go up every time she raised her own bid. It caused her to wonder, who the heck is bidding on this chocolate? She will hunt them down! Practically running back to the chocolate table, she stood there so that anytime the bid was raised she could raise it back. 

She's using her money from her checking account (which comes from allowance, babysitting, and tutoring). The money has accumulated substantially since ninth grade. This is something she's proud of, but she doesn't want to use too much on the chocolate. Chocolate isn't worth thousands of dollars. Or is it?

She can go to three hundred max, but that's it. That's her final limit. When the bid raised to two-fifty, she started perspiring a little. She raised that bid fifty dollars more and that was it. Period. A balding, heavyset doctor was the other bidder and he told her "You must really love chocolate. Alright then, it's yours." She thanked him and walked away with a year's supply of the best chocolate on the planet. Sweetie's is handmade and confection perfection. 

Johnny laughed at her. But never get in the way of a girl and her chocolate. Chocolate is God's apology for Mondays and English peas. Blech to both. 

Also that evening, she and Johnny danced and danced and danced. They made for a pretty couple. She is wearing a gold sequin overlayed silk dress, with dainty little cap sleeves. It has a crewcut neckline with pleating and a precious satin black bow around the waist. She's super cute and contrasting to Johnny's black pants, pale blue shirt, and grey plaid blazer. The evening was perfect until he dropped her off at home. Then it became... well... awkward.

He walked her to the porch and they stood there. Their faces flushed from dancing, talking, and the deep jolt they both felt in the pit of their stomachs. They both knew it could happen, the kiss. Eyes locked in on each other, his head started to lean in. At the last minute, she turned her head. His kiss landed on her cheek instead of the real target. She hugged him and went inside, leaving a stunned Johnny on the front porch. The whole rest of the night, she laid in bed wondering why she did that? He wondered the same thing too. 

The next morning, she needed clarity and reinforcement. After a sulky breakfast, she dressed for the day with a pair of camo joggers and a sweatshirt that says Cozy. Which is ironic cause she's anything but cozy inside. A sweatshirt with the word Frustrated or Annoyed, is what she needs. Putting on a pair of brown boots, and running into the kitchen, she grabbed a bag of candy corn. The candy corn will serve as the currency for much-needed advice. 

Then gathering courage, she walked. Out the front door and across the street into the preppy, funny snake's lair. She knew Tommy was here, cause his car was in the driveway. Knocking on the front door of his house, she waited. Tommy's mother, Ms. Brenda, answered. "Ava! How nice it is to see you. Won't you come in?" She let Ava inside.