Chapter 48: Seconds

Pain. Blinding pain is welling up within his chest. It hurts to breathe. It really hurts to breathe and this makes him anxious. His heart is thumping out of control, his jaw is clenched, and everywhere that doesn't hurt is tense. Most noticeable is his neck and shoulder muscles.

His head aches too, along with his thoughts. Everything is fuzzy. People are fuzzy. Memories are fuzzy. The anxiety returns every second things feel fuzzy. He turned his head, which took a lot of effort, and saw Ava. She saw him too and in an instant, he became surrounded by her sweet scent and luscious hair. That alone helped calm the growing anxiety. He tried to inhale deeply, but it was slow going. His raspy, dry voice asked, "Babe, where am I?" It hurt just to say those words.

She smoothed his hair off his forehead as she does sometimes. "Try not to talk, because I know you're in pain. I'll tell you everything that happened. But you're in the hospital. You have several broken ribs, and you collapsed from the pain. You've been unconscious for a whole day. It all started at the soccer game."

⚽️⚽️⚽️ ⚽️ ⚽️⚽️

Wednesday began the same as any other day. A shower, getting ready for school, cooking breakfast, and a kiss from her husband. "You're still going to my game after school right? It's a big game. College scouts will be there. Plus if we win, we'll continue our undefeated streak. I'd really love for you to be there." He sat at the island and put his shoes on. 

Ava put a plate of homemade waffles, with blueberry compote and lemon ricotta cream, in front of him. She kissed his cheek. "Of course I am. I wouldn't miss it. I'm riding with Rachel to the game, then with you home." He threw his shoulders back and smiled with evident happiness. 

They ate breakfast together, making plans for their week in Spain. "I don't care what we do as long as we hop over to the main island. We HAVE to visit Alcazar castle, home to Queen Isabella and King Ferdinand." She's adamant about this. You can't visit Spain without seeing that castle. You just can't. She's seen pictures. It's like Cinderella's castle in real life.

Having swallowed another bite of breakfast, he told her "Well I don't care what we do either as long as I get quality time with you. And by quality time, I mean—-"

His wife took her plate to the sink, and cut his words off. "I know exactly what you mean. It's not like we don't have plenty of quality time here at home. But don't worry. There will be ample opportunities made available to you."

This news gave him pause. Ample opportunities made available for quality time. Spring Break cannot get here fast enough. His imagination ran wild. Thoughts of his wife in a bikini dominated the majority. Then they became a little naughty and hot. She's hot and then he got caught.

"What are you thinking about? You have this satisfied smirk on your face," Ava wondered.

Crap. How does she always seem to know when he has naughty thoughts? With a smug voice, he confessed. "I'm thinking about you in a teeny bikini. It's hot."

She huffed. "Of course you are. I should have known by the look on your face alone. Well my dear husband, finish up your breakfast. We don't want your naughty thoughts to make us late for school."

Eating the remaining bites of his waffles, his thoughts did turn steamy again. He needs to remind her to pack that blue beach dress. It's hot and it always turns him on. 

After breakfast, they grabbed their stuff and headed out the door. Traffic made them arrive just as the first bell rang. Seconds to spare. They high-tailed it to their lockers and parted ways with a kiss. He went to math, and she to history. The most boring lecture ever, on the election of 1800, threatened to turn her brain to mush. Why can't Mr. Harris be interesting just once?