Chapter Three

Being a sister to notorious Vincent brothers was like having a warning label on one's person stating "Proceed with caution." The trouble with mothers is that Mrs. Vincent has failed to see the problem of having several older brothers for her eldest sister, instead, believing that they would make great gatekeepers of those who would not do as suitors. 

The suitors who were bold or stupid enough to attempt approaching her would be either rewarded with a short dance and conversation or feasted on with her brothers' intimidation and wit. 

The ball presented this as more of a problem as more eligible men came out to make their acquaintance with the royal Prince just as much as the single ladies did. Now her brothers were nearly unbearable staying close to their sister as new faces hidden from the season came to light and discovered the fresh new faces of the season.

Diana sought comfort with her friend Eloise and Penelope who watched with fascination at the ton around them waiting for the Prince to arrive with the Queen. "Do you think half the room will faint when he makes his appearance?" Eloise asked breaking the silence. Diana snorted amused, "if that were to happen it would make all of this worth it indeed."

"Oh, Cressida Cowper did that last year it was rather awkward than amusing I must say," Penelope replied. Diana turned to the pretty red-haired girl in surprise. "You jest."

Penelope Featherington grinned shaking her head, "I constantly forget you were away with a broken leg, the last time the Prince was here I thought everyone was about to fall at his feet in delirium."

Diana laughed. "Oh Pen you almost make me regret missing out on last year's season."

"Are you saying you broke your leg on purpose." she quipped. Diana laughed again pleased to find her friend much less reserved with her opinion and more forthcoming. 

Eloise stipulated it was the last season's fiascos that made Penelope more or less abandon her shyness and find a new sense of courage that they haven't seen before in their friend.

"If I was a bit more mad, perhaps, but I truly must blame my brothers and my recklessness for that debacle." Diana sighed.

"I heard Dominic didn't quite forgive Darcy and Damien for it, have they made up?" Eloise asked. "Anthony wants to know if he needs to keep them in separate rooms for their Gentleman's soiree before his marriage to Kate."

"Mostly, but he does like jab them for it occasionally, but he only does it so they could be nicer to me" Diana replied.

"Noted," Eloise muttered. Their attention was called when the Master of Ceremonies announced the Queen her nephew, Prince Friedrich of Prussia. Diana turned curious to the doors when the Queen entered in a stunning silk green gown, at her arm made Diana's stomach drop in a breathless recognition of the blond hair and sapphire eyes. Diana could now conclude for certain that the stranger was definitely not some foreign merchant who lost his way in the grand home of Lord Holden.

As the ladies and gentlemen gathered around them for introduction, Diana quickly turned in the opposite direction and headed to the refreshment table grabbing the nearest glass of wine.

"Are you alright Diana? You look like when my sister had her corset on too tight before she keeled over in front of the Queen." Penelope and Eloise were by her side worry on their faces.

"I have something to tell you but you must not breathe soul or I will go to your homes and burn your writing desk." Diana whispered, glancing over at the ball of people surrounding and the Prince.

"What is it?" Eloise pressed. Diana told them the story of meeting the Prince including thinking he was a merchant. The truth somewhat made her feel better when disclosed to her friends who now shared the burden of her embarrassing secret.

"My god, you must break your leg again and sit out for the rest of the season." Penelope laughed amused.

"You are right, maybe I can break it again." Diana nodded vigorously. Penelope pinched her hard. "I was only in jest Diana! Don't injure yourself! It will be alright," she assured in a serious tone.

"I know that was stupid to say! Again don't breathe a word and definitely not my brothers or mother." Diana begged.

"About what?" Darcy had crept up behind them and was looking at her with suspicion. 

Benedict Bridgerton was also by his side eying the trio with the same concern. "You three look up to no good, if our mothers see you together they will drag you apart and force you to dance with the old smelly widowers."

"I thought you were escaping." Eloise glared at her tall dark-haired brother, Benedict  had a sore look about his features. "Mother caught me dragged me back to keep an eye on you while she schemes with Lady Danbury and Lady Vincent in the salon."

"Oh, poor Benedict." Eloise rolled her eyes.

"Seriously, if we are being forced to endure this ball to ensure you all at least reject 3 bachelors, make it worth our while yes?" Darcy and Benedict stood and looked at their sisters as Penelope inched away from them. 

"That includes you, Penelope. Though you are not Vincent or Bridgerton we know you could benefit from brothers." Darcy's eyes were pinned on Penelope. 

"I'm not a charity case." she glared offended. 

"No, you are not but you are our sister's dearest friend besides Collin specifically wanted us to keep an eye on you while he is on the continent," Benedict said. 

At that Penelope froze turning to them her blue eyes widened in surprise. 

"He..did?" she asked softly.

Diana and Eloise looked at her curiously, both their minds seemingly becoming more aware of Penelope's special affection for the traveling Bridgerton.

"Ah, there you are, come let me introduce you to the Prince." Anthony Bridgerton the eldest and Viscount has now joined them offering his hand to Eloise hastily pulling her along. 

"Same with you Diana," Darcy replied taking her as they trailed after Anthony. Diana stole another panicked glance at Penelope who stood by Benedict brow raised in curiosity. To her horror, they stood in the now dwindling line to the Prince and the Queen. Diana sent a quick prayer that he could not recognize her. Darcy transformed by the brooding older brother to the s tall and proud Lord Vincent in front of the Prince as he pushed Diana forward who dared not meet his eyes.

"Prince Fredrich, let me introduce to you my sister, Ms. Diana Vincent."