Chapter Twenty Nine

The air in the room became still around her, as the moonlight bathed the room. The clock ticked loudly between them attempting to ground them to reality. She absorbed the sight of him, greedily imprinting it all in memory as he did with her. It took every strength she had in her to keep her from leaping out of her bed and into her arms.

She wasn't sure what she wanted out of seeing him, all day she thought of all the scenarios. Everything she wanted to say was now forgotten as he stood before her.

In two strides he was beside her bed, dropping down beside her bed to take her face between his hands. Diana stared no longer at a Prince but a man whose emotions unguarded and breaking before her.

"Forgive me..." he whispered leaning his head against hers, "You are here." 

A mad smile broke on her face, her tears threatening to cascade, relishing the heat of his skin on hers.

"I am." she croaked, feeling his breath on hers, reminding her this was no longer a fever dream.

"When I heard...I couldn't..." he started his words lost to the pain of the memory.

"Please, don't." Diana begged her hands finding his curls and moving them away from his face.

"There is so many things I wish to say..." he started again his blue eyes searching hers as his fingers traced her cheek wiping the tear that fell there.

"We only have a moment, so let us just be." Diana whispered as she glanced at his lips.

Diana's brow pinched watching him as he inhaled deeply taking in her scent, his gaze moved down to her lips the conflict in him evident.

"Can we pretend, that we continued our day at the picnic and everything after didn't exist?"

Diana nodded, "Please."

"Good, because I want to kiss you and its becoming very difficult to not to." he whispered.

"Than why don't you." she replied her heart hammering in her chest.

He captured her lips, barely finishing her words. His hands held her possessively against him, it was a different kind of kiss one that invaded all of her sense. Teeth knocking on hers he slants to deepen the kiss hungry as if he was imprinting on her that she was his and only his. Diana didn't mind this, following his lead, wrapping her arms around his neck as if it was the only way to keep her from being consumed by the fire they started.

Diana feels a shudder wrack through her as he explored and tasted every part of her mouth so sinfully with his tongue, resolving every part of her was his and she didn't want to escape. He retreats finally, both finding air, Diana sensed him trying to find control again and she secretly wishes he didn't and kiss her like that again. She still feels his lips on her own letting his scent invade her, his hands tracing the pulse on the column of her throat.

"I love you." he blurts out. "I'm sorry I cannot be a gentleman tonight. I couldn't say it before that night because I didn't want to give you false hope."

Diana tore away from him remembering that night and what had happened with Fruelin before he met with her. Reality hit her, wondering if madness has finally gotten hold and she wasn't truly awake at all letting him back into her arms without a thought.

"No, you can't love me." she berated her self for falling for his sweet kisses and words.

"I do." he stated again with more conviction. "I know what I did was wrong and hurtful and I am so sorry Diana." He reached for her again and she pulled away.

"I saw you!" she blurted. "You kissed your fiance that night and now you are kissing me!" Guilt made her nauseous and she suddenly hated herself. 

He winced retreating before letting out a shaky breath in the silence between them. "I know you have very little reason to trust me, but that night she forced that kiss on me."